Law School Discussion

I'm 1/8 cherokee Indian: Does that count?

I'm 1/8 cherokee Indian: Does that count?
« on: February 13, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
I've heard "Native American" adds 10 point to your LSAT score. I could use 10 points. Unfortunately, I have blue eyes.

pcv

Re: I'm 1/8 cherokee Indian: Does that count?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 05:01:36 PM »
If you can prove that you are Native American (meaning you have a paper from the tribe), then you can put it down.

BUT.....

You also need to put down in the other box that you are 1/8 Native American and 7/8 whatever else you are.  You don't want to have any problems later on when sitting for the bar.

gibros

• Irish Law '09
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:03:03 PM »
yeah, you need to get an Indian Card. It's kind of like a YMCA card, but a little more difficult to obtain.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:59:28 PM »
hell no.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:27:10 PM »
No..and being only 1/8 would not qualify you for a status card.

getinsomewhere

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 12:34:54 AM »
1/8 something seems like a questionable call, but its your call to make.  Law schools do not require 'proof' or ID cards.  That is ridiculous - ask any minority accepted any school on this board.  Law schools will never ask for proof; in fact, they like it this way.  You are free to identify yourself as you see yourself.

That said, it might be tough to honestly see yourself as American Indian if you some distant relative was.  If you are 1/8, though, and your mother raised you within a native values system and emphasized your identity and culture, you ought to reflect that on your application.

I am a different variety of mixed-race and tried to reflect that in my diversity statement, wherever schools asked for one or allowed for one.

As for 'proof', a tribal registration number can be useful for obtaining government benefits, but is not required for the admissions process. I believe there are substantial tuition breaks and possible assistance for those of Am. Indian heritage (usually 1/16 or more).

All that said, just because you can doesn't mean you should, unless you are comfortable with it and with the fact that you are using a tool created to help people from a disadvantaged historical tradition and from a poorly represented cultural perspective.  If you are 1/8 native american, but grew up as a rich white kid, then it seems pretty unethical to claim this status.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 01:59:08 AM »
I don't mean to put this in the Haterade section, but come on...

Law schools will never ask for proof; in fact, they like it this way.  You are free to identify yourself as you see yourself.

My great-great-great-grandmother was from Spain.  I guess I'm Hispanic.  My mother's side of the family was Irish in the era of "Irish need not apply" signs.  Where's my legacy?

If you are 1/8 native american, but grew up as a rich white kid, then it seems pretty unethical to claim this status.

What if you're a rich black kid?  Is it unethical to take the 10 free LSAT points and run while a poor white kid goes without, or is it the "legacy of slavery"?

AA will never work.  Period.

team mvp

• Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:56:44 AM »
No..and being only 1/8 would not qualify you for a status card.

Being 1/8 does actually qualify you for a card.  I have a friend who is 1/16 who has one.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 03:30:28 PM »
If you are 1/8 native american, but grew up as a rich white kid, then it seems pretty unethical to claim this status.

What if you're a rich black kid?  Is it unethical to take the 10 free LSAT points and run while a poor white kid goes without, or is it the "legacy of slavery"?

AA will never work.  Period.
[/quote]

Aside from the right/wrong discussion of AA, the entire point of AA isn't to overcome poverty.  We have social programs for that.  The point of AA is to get more minorities into professions they traditionally have trouble cracking into.

petitschoque

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 03:34:42 PM »
Aside from the right/wrong discussion of AA, the entire point of AA isn't to overcome poverty.  We have social programs for that.  The point of AA is to get more minorities into professions they traditionally have trouble cracking into.
Exactly. You'd think this was a no-brainer by now but I guess actually knowing what AA is about isn't a prerequisite for taking pot shots at it.

OP, only you know if your indian heritage has had an influence on your life. Only you know if you have spent your life living as a white person without a second thought for your indian ancestors. Only you know if, like some who are not phenotypically black at first glance but have black genes, you do not look like the group but identify strongly with the group.

My personal opinion is that it's really disgusting when those who have spent their lives neck-deep in white privilege now want to jump on the minority bandwagon during admissions. I'm sure that's quite irrelevant to you if you're one of those who will stop at nothing for an undeserved boost but I just thought I'd chime in anyway.

I also think it is unfair that someone be forced to deny their culture in order to avoid criticism. So if you have experienced what it is to be Indian (whatever that means to you) and haven't just been sliding under the radar while passing for white, then I don't see anything wrong with you claiming that side of you.