Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dating in Law school  (Read 4376 times)

Regal_Muse

Dating in Law school
« on: July 26, 2004, 02:47:01 PM »
I know this question sounds so silly, but is anyone concerned about their social life during their first year of law school? Do people date? I imagine law school to be a meat market.  Personally, I would love to still be able to socialize with my fellow soon-to-be juris  ;D. What is everyone's take on dating during law school?

Ginatio

Re: Dating in Law school
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 02:52:51 PM »
numerous attorneys, law students, and recent law grads have all told me one thing: if you have a girlfriend, dump her. you don't have the time or the energy for any of that kind of stuff (including the drama) during your first year. After that, tho, it's fine...

Victor

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 02:54:01 PM »
I know this question sounds so silly, but is anyone concerned about their social life during their first year of law school? Do people date? I imagine law school to be a meat market.  Personally, I would love to still be able to socialize with my fellow soon-to-be juris  ;D. What is everyone's take on dating during law school?

From my contact with 1L's students, the concept of dating is quixotic. Everyone lives a cloistered existence.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 02:58:12 PM »
Law School is torture, dating is fun, so the two are mutually exclusive  :D.

In the last year of my UG, I had to put in 10 hour days at the library for about 1/3 of my school year (midterm & exam periods).  I barely had enough time for sleep, I'm expecting LS to be no different if not worse.

Good times...
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

NYKnicks

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 03:00:32 PM »
Looks like I'll be continuing my girlfriendless life come 2005 when I expect to enter law school. Hmm that leaves me a whole year...better start looking for one now.

mkagan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 03:01:56 PM »
oy, i hope my girlfriend isnt reading this thread...from what you people say, the prospects of continuing a relationship dont look good
I think pickles are cucumbers that sold out. They sold their soul to the devil, and the devil is dill...

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 03:06:48 PM »
I was told by a professor who I am pretty cool with that the first year is the ultimate test on any relationship. You have no time to do anything except school work. *sigh*

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 03:08:11 PM »
yep. looks like you're gonna have to let Jeff Daniels down easy...

I was told by a professor who I am pretty cool with that the first year is the ultimate test on any relationship. You have no time to do anything except school work. *sigh*

ttiwed

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 03:08:17 PM »
"Droppin science like Asian chicks with the runs"

victor, i don't get it...

dating in law school will be a lot easier than dating in undergrad. one problem i had with gf's in undergrad is trying to study together. i was with this girl who was an interior design major and she needed a drafting table to do her work but i needed a computer to type papers and stuff. so it was really hard for us to study together. but in law school, everyone has the same classes!

plus, since the classes (1L, 2L, 3L) are smaller, there'll be a tighter-knit community, which means you'll get to know people on a deeper level much easier. unfortunately though, that'll also mean more drama.

i seriously hope my law school peers will be just as fun as the people on this board. i've never met a group of people who can speak so freely and shamelessly about their own junk (see love board).

NYKnicks

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 03:11:54 PM »
Maybe we all speak so freely becasaue we don't know anyone, but either way I've still heard law school is a pretty fun place where you can meet people you'll stay in touch with the rest of your life. Sounds like undergrad...hmmm, yea anyway, Dewitt I'm sure your law school peers will all have the greatest respect for you, as long as you don't show them...err, well, you know, your priceless memories from spending $14.