Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rankings for DC area?  (Read 846 times)

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
Re: Rankings for DC area?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 11:01:28 AM »
Transferring from PT to FT might be common but I don't know about smart.  If you want full time, start full time.  Do do the switch at GW its just a signature on the dotted line after one semester, HOWEVER, you gotta keep in mind that you applied for financial aid for PART TIME and you can't change that selection.  What does that mean?  It means your second semester will be paid for with private loans.

If you transfer from PT to FT at GULC, it will be for the beginning of your second year, not 2nd semester (GW allows you to transfer at semester) - do you know if your financial aid will be adjusted to meet the $6,000+ in extra tuition?

ALso, to the OP - I think your numbers are pretty strong for GULC PT (I got in with a 164/3.41). And I would agree with what other posters are saying about GMU.  I've heard it's well respected and it's starting to get more recognition as a quality school.  And if you can pay instate tuition, that's all the better.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

1LBored

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »
Transferring from PT to FT might be common but I don't know about smart.  If you want full time, start full time.  Do do the switch at GW its just a signature on the dotted line after one semester, HOWEVER, you gotta keep in mind that you applied for financial aid for PART TIME and you can't change that selection.  What does that mean?  It means your second semester will be paid for with private loans.
You're already going to be using private loans.  Even part-time at GW or GT will not be covered entirely by federal loans.  Maybe by school-aid and government loans, but you're going to need private loans to cover full time tuition regardless.  This should only be a concern if you're pretty certain you're going to be getting a huge scholarship from the school.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 03:35:44 PM »
If I work my current job and attend PT I can pay the differene from the federal loans in cash.  Many people do that.  At least those that are married, etc... and have two people paying the bills.

However, if single, it would be tough without some private aid.
Attending GW in Fall '06