Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: motivation?  (Read 931 times)

JupiterSun Uhuru

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
motivation?
« on: February 13, 2006, 04:23:17 PM »
Why do you want to go to law school?

Itís the beginning of my final semester of my senior year of college and I no longer am motivated to attend law school.  Iíve taken the LSAT, Iíve registered for the LSDAS, and Iíve sent applications to eight law schools.  Iím currently the President of my university pre-law society, and Iíve finally received all of my letters of recommendations from my professors, (one such recommendation took over 5 months to write and mail to the Law School Admissions Council!)  Last semester I held an interest meeting and one fellow student showed up.  At this point I could care less whether or not I get accepted.  Why do I feel this way you may ask?  Iíll tell you why, because Iím a young black man, trying to succeed in America and weíve historically drawn the shortest straw. 

Since October 2000, Iíve lived in the Washington DC metropolitan region.  Living here can make even the most apathetic person become politically and socially alert.  I work at the US House of Representatives and Iím surrounded by quasi-intelligence daily.  Beltway insiders, as they are called surround my every movement.  I see the disgust in the eyes of most; the feelings of heightened self egotism in others.  Itís enough to make you wish that you never knew how the American governmental system really operated!

Why am I ranting about government and law school?  What do they have in common?  Well, just as tadpoles grow to become frogs; law students grow to become government officials or politicians.  Law students attend law school because they want to one day have an impact on their lives or the lives of others.  They want to convict criminals, free the innocent, introduce socially conscious legislation, or cash in off of the splendors of political power.  All things considered, law school is for people who seek to gain a certain sense of power.  Itís about control, controlling your destiny by stacking your deck of cards with aces aplenty.

I think that there are better ways to spend 400 dollars of your hard earned money, which at this point is what Iíve spent on the pre-law process.  Most of which has gone to the Law School Admissions Council. They have the glorious pleasure of ensuring that the wrong people donít attend law school.  They take your cash, give you half-assed assistance, and then disappear from your life forever leaving you none the wiser.  But Iíve got a plan; I will be the last person laughing.  Iím going to law school.  Furthermore, Iím going to succeed in law school because black men are virtually extinct in the legal field.  How many black male lawyers do you know?  In contrast, how many black male drug dealers or wannabe rappers do you know?  Have you ever known a black man who has been to jail?  Chances are you know many---many more than black males that have been to law school!

Law school needs people like me; young, black, outspoken and ready to shine brighter than the sun.  Law schools need people like you too----young, black, outspoken and ready to shine brighter than the sun. 
ďLaw school--- itís not just for white kids.Ē

"You may check your ego at the door!"

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: motivation?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »

ďLaw school--- itís not just for white kids.Ē

Can I get this on a bumper sticker?  I there with you 100%.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »
friggin idiot!!! :D

i would pay cash money for that
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Slow Blues

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 05:03:59 PM »
I'm going to law school so I can buy blue sweaters.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:08:26 PM »

I swear we have to start a Blue Sweater Alumni Group.  That way when we all graduate from law school and go on to do our thing in the community and in the profession, we'll be able to bring new members and youngings into the fold -- teaching the way of the BLSD Blue Sweater Brothers.

intent06

• Sr. Citizen
  • "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 05:10:28 PM »
That is EXACTLY the post that I needed to see right now!!!  Damn good I must say!!!

Black men unite!!!  And you too CoreeneNoir a.k.a. KB!!!
Damn...it's the third year already!!

Slow Blues

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 05:13:51 PM »

I swear we have to start a Blue Sweater Alumni Group.  That way when we all graduate from law school and go on to do our thing in the community and in the profession, we'll be able to bring new members and youngings into the fold -- teaching the way of the BLSD Blue Sweater Brothers.

Kind of like a black Skull n' Bones thing? I'd join that.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »

Kind of like a black Skull n' Bones thing? I'd join that.

Hey I'm down man.  We're all doing our thing now and are bound to be successful in the future.  No reason why our commitment to the community and to each other shouldn't extend outside of this cyberspace. 

BLSD's Blue Sweater Young Lawyers' Group

LOL.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 06:09:01 PM »
how about gray?

I don't own any blue sweaters - I don't really like the color blue. Can we have a sister group, for maybe cream sweaters? Most of my sweaters are cream.

:D
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »
I so want that sticker! I have a green sweater, I'll look into a blue one.

I'm actually switching careers. I've spent the last 10 years as a newspaper journalist, now I'm gearing up for law school. Am I crazy? At least I get to be the old guy at school (oh yeah, I remember the 90s, those were the days, dayum.)
In:Northwestern, Emory, Temple ($$), Wash. U($$), Michigan($$$)! Cornell
Out: Columbia
Wait: GULC, NYU.