Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to Cumberland School of Law at Samford?  (Read 2297 times)

Wescline

• View Profile
Anyone going to Cumberland School of Law at Samford?
« on: July 26, 2004, 01:41:57 PM »
Hi there! I'll be at Cumberland unless by some miracle I get pulled from the William and Mary or Georgia State waitlists. Anyone else going to be there or will I be all alone in my Torts classes?

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
Re: Anyone going to Cumberland School of Law at Samford?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 03:22:35 PM »
Did you apply to Mercer?
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Wescline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 04:08:43 PM »
No, but my situation is a bit unusual I think. My GPA is 3.57 and LSAT score is 158, it was in the 73% for the October 2003 test. I applied to University of Georgia, Emory and Georgia State in December and was rejected at University of Georgia and Emory and waitlisted at Georgia State. In late June my wife emailed about 17 schools in the South to see if there were any openings in the Fall class, including Mercer. They said their class was full, but I did get favorable responses from University of Memphis, Samford and amazingly enough, College of William and Mary! I would rather go to Georgia State because we already live in Atlanta and it is super cheap, but if William and Mary called tomorrow I'd have a hard time turning that down. I'm still on the Georgia State waitlist but as the days pass I'm thinking I'll be Birmingham bound in a couple weeks. Cumberland was not my first choice, but I did call them in late June to see if they had spots open and they did me a huge favor by considering my application at that late date and accepting me. I will not be upset at all if that is where I go in August! I just don't want to be alone... :)

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 04:10:29 PM »
Those are some good numbers to get rejected to schools like that man, I am sorry. I hope William and Mary comes through and accepts you. Good luck.

Wescline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 04:14:16 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I can honestly say I was shocked that I did not get in to any of those schools. My numbers were strong and I thought I was a shoo-in at least at Georgia State. Yeah, I'm hoping the W&M will pull through. I'm from the Tidewater area and would love to get back closer to my family, although my wife does not relish us living so close to the dreaded "In-Laws!" :)

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 06:04:34 PM »
No, but my situation is a bit unusual I think. My GPA is 3.57 and LSAT score is 158

Wow, has GA State raised the bar that much?  I used to live in Atlanta and never remembered that school being so hard to get into!

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 10:08:58 AM »
I'm convinced GSU is gaming the ratings.  There's no way Wes should have been rejected.  Assuming W&M and GSU don't call are you going to relocate to Birmingham?

Evan
Out Here in Vinings 
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Wescline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 11:13:04 AM »
Yes, I think they are trying to act like they are Emory or UGA when they are not! :) I had a good GPA, a good LSAT score, strong Extracurricular involvement in college, i.e. editor of the university newspaper, president of ODK, etc. and after college I've been involved in community and professional organizations, I'm good looking...just kidding! But, I was surprised that I got waitlisted there and am being treated rather shabbily by the Admissions Department.

So, unless I get off of the William and Mary or Georgia State waitlist, I'll be relocating, at the last minute, to Birmingham and leaving my wife behind in Atlanta. My wife is a career woman through and through and I love it, but this is one time that it would be nice if she had no job and could just move wherever and whenever I went to law school. Because as it is she might stay in Atlanta until next year. :(

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 11:17:45 AM »
Well, how do you feel about going to Cumberland?  What are the prospects there, in particular, would you be able to take the degree back to Atlanta and work?

Wescline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 11:33:30 AM »
I'm fine with going to Cumberland. The prestige is better at W&M and the cost is better at GA State, but I'm 29 years old and ready to start my law education. My wife and I want to stay in the South because out families are here and the Cumberland degree seems to do well in Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Mississippi. There are Cumberland lawyers all over, so I'm not too worried about being stuck in Birmingham forever. If I get there and hate it, I can try to transfer after the first year but I really think once I get started and settled I'll love it. I just have a little bit of the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome because I'm still up in the air with other schools. Where are you going?