Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Michigan State  (Read 728 times)

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
In at Michigan State
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »
Got my acceptance letter today! I'm really happy with how this admissions cycle has gone for me.
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
Re: In at Michigan State
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »
I have been accepted also, but will not consider unless I get a scholarship (I got a full ride at Toledo which happens to be my hometown).  According to other posts, these MSU award letters were mialed out ~Feb.16.  How seriously are you considering it?  I like the joint-degree option with University of Ottawa and the fact that it is associated with a Big Ten school; this can only help rankings, resources, and alumni contacts going forward.
I am still waiting to hear from quite a few schools, but look forward to hearing from those interested in, or will be, attending MSU.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

michelleinsea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 06:13:47 PM »
I'm considering it, too.  But like you and a few others, I'm waiting to see what kind of $$$ they give.  I really do like what I've heard about the school being on the rise, the programs they have, etc., so I'm anxious to hear about the money soon.  But who isn't, right? 

mgd04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:35:53 PM »
MSU is a great school and the name will carry a lot further then many other T3 schools. Also, every Big 10 school with a law school is in the top 50 except penn state and MSU... what do the two have in common.. they both just acquired law schools. MSU's rep. is definately going to rise and it is already on the way up.

michelleinsea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:39:59 PM »
Interesting and good point about Big Ten schools.  Thanks, mgd.

The more I find out the more I like MSU.

But I am still hoping for even a little money  :)

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 06:42:46 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Michelle, interested but I'd really like to get some money.
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 07:03:24 PM »
I was really interested but after getting no money and them not giving need based I feel like my hands are tied, especially seeing as I got money from another school.

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 11:59:48 PM »
Accepted here also, again no money is disappointing. I have the strange feeling they only gave schollys to kids who really have no intention of attending so this way they can get a majority of the kids who are going to pay full pop. I hope this is not the case, but I have a funny feeling. That said the people involved have been super nice (but I keep getting silly pamphlets in the mail) and helpful. I get the feeling maybe that they were highly disorganized in the past and maybe are started to get their act together.(New Dean) I have hear that they give new laptops to the top half of the class which actually attends, which is a nice perk. I like the school a lot, but to me at this point the higher average salary and Name recognition of Syracuse have me swayed. I've also always been a closet 'Cuse fan.

mgd04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 01:58:57 AM »
Higher average salary of Syracuse is probably just based off of cost of living factors on the East Coast. Name reputation of Syracuse is neglible if you want to work in the midwest. Both schools are very strong regional schools. If you want to work on the East Coast do Syracuse.. midwest... MSU.. If you don't want to work in either geographic region then look for a school in the region you want to work in. But MSU's starting salary average is lower because most grads are getting jobs in the midwest where it's much cheaper to work. MSU is on the rise and given the fact that all other established big 10 schools are T1 I would go for MSU for long run payoff but Syracuse if I wanted an East Coast job or reputational pay off.

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:40:16 AM »
I haven't been very impressed with MSU, I feel they made the scholly decisions hastily and without any real thought. They spent so much time sending junk mail and then put the dean in an office for 1 day to make the $$ decisions.

To say I am disapointed is an understatement. MSU may well be on the rise but they aren't there as yet and need to act accordingly.