Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-trad students: Has age slowed me down?  (Read 5105 times)

fulltimejob

• View Profile
Non-trad students: Has age slowed me down?
« on: July 26, 2004, 01:40:04 PM »
Hi:
Need your advice: I am doing a prep test every other day and am steadily stuck at 143! Am hoping when I start the LG bible I could get a few extra points in Games section. I am taking the test in Oct and would apply to 2 tier 3 and one tier 4 schools in part-time course as I have to keep my full time job. I have no doubt about excellent LOR etc and have extensive education and experience. But I know I need a score better than 143.  I am now so dejected that putting myself through yet another prep test again is a torture. When I look back at the answers I can understand the reason but am pretty sure, there's no way I can identify the correct answer from my pick!!. Any pointers? When did you start seeing a difference/improvement in performance. I have seriously started to believe that age has slowed me down.

NYKnicks

Re: Non-trad students: Has age slowed me down?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 01:47:04 PM »
No need to panic, you've still got ample time to prepare. Maybe you can change up your approach a bit, I'm not sure if doing a prep test every other day works too well. What might be better is to try to find out what you are weaker at, and work on those areas and take at most 2 preptests a week, there's no need to panic yet, still more than 2 monthes till testday.

Hi:
Need your advice: I am doing a prep test every other day and am steadily stuck at 143! Am hoping when I start the LG bible I could get a few extra points in Games section. I am taking the test in Oct and would apply to 2 tier 3 and one tier 4 schools in part-time course as I have to keep my full time job. I have no doubt about excellent LOR etc and have extensive education and experience. But I know I need a score better than 143.  I am now so dejected that putting myself through yet another prep test again is a torture. When I look back at the answers I can understand the reason but am pretty sure, there's no way I can identify the correct answer from my pick!!. Any pointers? When did you start seeing a difference/improvement in performance. I have seriously started to believe that age has slowed me down.

fulltimejob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 02:00:29 PM »
Thanks for your pep up NY knicks. No matter how many I answer in the LReasoning and RC, I am getting about 12 correct in each. Games, I can only answer one or two sets of questions in 35 mins and have about 4 correct. :-\ So I shall definitely start the LG bible (as soon as it arrives). But I am equally weak in the other 3 sections!

dta

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 02:05:33 PM »
Take a practice test completely UNTIMED - do NOT time yourself. What is your score untimed? If your score is not 170+ you've got serious problems. Don't take *ANY* more timed tests until you can work a test completely untimed and get a 170+.

There are 2 basic issues when studying for the LSAT:

1. Knowing how to figure out what the right answer is.
2. Knowing how to do #1 really, really fast.

Don't work on #2 until you are a success at #1.

NYKnicks

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 02:06:37 PM »
Hmm, sounds like you got some work to do, but it shouldn't be too bad. Do you have any other books you are using or are you simply trying to get through using practice tests alone along with the LG bible? I'd suggest Master the LSAT, I just got it last week and its proved to be most helpful.

fulltimejob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 02:44:10 PM »
Well, I have just started studying and was just going through the tests. I am waiting for the bible that I'll do next week. I shall get the Master the LSAT today on my way back home.

I never tried untimed. Shall try it tonight. But given unlimited time shouldn't everybody be able to answer all ? No harm trying this method and see if it helps.

Any other books?

NYKnicks

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 02:46:15 PM »
There's some book with Professor Dave in the title that I found to be decent, at least to introduce you to basic concepts and stuff.

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 02:55:51 PM »
If the age theory allows you to rest better at night then stick with it.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 03:00:10 PM »
I agree that you should try to take an untimed test. After you take the test. Go through each question to see which kinds of questions you got right, and which kind you got wrong. Try to see if you can locate any patterns in your right and wrong questions. On the wrong questions, go through each question and look at the right answer. Then find out what makes your answer wrong.

Are you picking answers that are irrelevant? Are you picking answers that use to strong of wording?

Remember the only thing you can base your answers on are the information given. If you are using outside knowledge with some of the questions, you will not get them right.

Good luck,

~K
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 05:41:55 PM »
Fulltime,

I am in your shoes.  I started in the 130's, bought a book, started working each question slowly, untimed as everyone says (BTW that is great advice they gave) and took a timed practice test
and got a 151.  Since I know that I am old, I don't try to make excuses for that, some people are just good at this test, some aren't.  Age could really only factor in if we didn't recently go back to school at the same time the younger kids are graduating.  If you were out of school for a long time, that would make it tough, but not impossible.  It's been 3 weeks since I got the 151, and haven't took a timed test since.  I am still working on problem areas.  If there is a question you just don't get, even if it is explained to you in a book, post it on the BBS, everybody does it, and everybody likes to answer them.  You'll be fine if you take your time.  If you are constantly not understanding WHY you got them wrong and WHY you got them right, then you are in trouble.  That's what happened to me, and i am getting closer every day.  Good luck  Also, it maybe too late, but there are some real good prep courses out there, cost about a grand, but you can try that too if there are any left before the OCT. test.  I knwo some weekend crash courses are still available. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..