Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Married therefore independent from parents...right?  (Read 1054 times)

lily06

Married therefore independent from parents...right?
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »
All of this talk of finaid is making me question my most basic assumptions about this whole process. Therefore, I have to ask if the following assumption is correct...I am 24 and married. I filed my FAFSA, disclosing my husband's income and was told me EFC. Certainly, no school will then ask me to get info from my parents, right? That would screw me over mucho as my parents are rather wealthy. However, I can't see what that has to do with me as I am in no way financially connected to them.

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Married therefore independent from parents...right?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:39:25 AM »
All of this talk of finaid is making me question my most basic assumptions about this whole process. Therefore, I have to ask if the following assumption is correct...I am 24 and married. I filed my FAFSA, disclosing my husband's income and was told me EFC. Certainly, no school will then ask me to get info from my parents, right? That would screw me over mucho as my parents are rather wealthy. However, I can't see what that has to do with me as I am in no way financially connected to them.

You are considered independent.
Duke 2009

lily06

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:41:15 AM »
thanks :) I would hope so or this whole process really would be evil

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:53:44 AM »
If you are married, do you still have to give parental info for need based aid?
Attending GW in Fall '06

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:52:50 PM »
If you are married, you are considered independent for federal aid.  Schools vary in how much weight they place on parental income for need-based aid from them.  I know Duke and I think that columbia still require the information and then consider it when giving need based aid.  You will still be able to get the full 18500 from the government (although if your EFC is high the ratio of subsidized to unsubsidized may go down).  If the school requires it and you do not give it, I expect that you would not get much need based aid from the school.  This won't stop you from qualifying for outside loans.
Duke 2009

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »
If you are married, you are considered independent for federal aid.  Schools vary in how much weight they place on parental income for need-based aid from them.  I know Duke and I think that columbia still require the information and then consider it when giving need based aid.  You will still be able to get the full 18500 from the government (although if your EFC is high the ratio of subsidized to unsubsidized may go down).  If the school requires it and you do not give it, I expect that you would not get much need based aid from the school.  This won't stop you from qualifying for outside loans.

I don't know about duke and columbia, but generally schools have other criteria before deciding if you're independent or not, like how long its been since you parents took a deduction for you, how long you've been living on your own, and how old you are. 

The best answer to this question is, "Check with each school, they all do it differently."
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:44:09 PM »
Definitely for federal aid married people are independent (actually for federal aid all professional/graduate students are independent).  Many private and top-ranked programs in particular ask for parental information regardless of marital status - although the years that you have been financially independent of your parents does matter.  Many schools seem to have either the rule that 5+ years independent = no parental info or you are 30 or older = no parental info.  But when in doubt, check with the school.  Need Access seems to automatically figure out from your answers and schools whether to ask you for parental info.  Anyone else have that same feeling?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 02:55:45 PM »
Yeah, I am not applying for need based grant money anyway, I was just curious.  I think its really friggin stupid, however, that a married person with their own dependents has to submit their parents info.
Attending GW in Fall '06

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:43:18 PM »
NYU requires "every student" to include parental information. 

Some of you may not have been born the last time I was a dependant (1988).  My folks thought it was pretty funny.  Not funny enough to give me a bunch of money, but pretty funny.

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 01:27:26 PM »
Ha, I don't think there are many people applying to law school who are 17 or just barely 18, but your point Pass is still a good one.  Seems odd for NYU to ask for parental info from you, but a rule is a rule I suppose.