Law School Discussion

Any other older returning students out there?

Re: Any other older returning students out there?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 01:38:40 PM »
I graduated in 1998. I got my master's in education but decided that teaching really wasn't for me and am now going back to get my JD.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 01:43:07 PM »
Count me in the old&moldy club - more moldy. Graduated in 97. Also been in journalism.

Hi,

I'm going back to law school in the fall after a 10-year absence, I graduated from Cornell  in 1995. I was wondering if anyone else is going back after a long "break"? I spent 10 years a journalist and now ready for a switch.

Hey, another journalism UG here!  Although currently doing PR (ugh).

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 01:45:59 PM »
Actually, in my effort to be completely useless, I was English & philosophy. Then the philosophy factory laid me off, so I took up writing for a living in one form or another.

Count me in the old&moldy club - more moldy. Graduated in 97. Also been in journalism.

Hi,

I'm going back to law school in the fall after a 10-year absence, I graduated from Cornell  in 1995. I was wondering if anyone else is going back after a long "break"? I spent 10 years a journalist and now ready for a switch.

Hey, another journalism UG here!  Although currently doing PR (ugh).

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 01:49:26 PM »
Greetings from another journalist! I graduated with a BA in English in '98. I did not really think I was "old" for law school until I got on this site. But I did go back to school in '02 for a master's degree...and loved it!!  I just still can't believe that my grad school GPA does nothing to boost up my unimpressive undergrad GPA.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 01:53:37 PM »
I've done some writing as well (and do some writing now as well) but nothing exciting or journalism related. Slk, I know how you feel about the master's degree- I had a 4.0 there but a lower GPA for undergrad. I was still young then, but in education a lot of the people coming back were older than they seem to be in law school.

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 02:06:37 PM »
Late thirties here.  My oldest is graduating from high school this year.  I guess that it didn't truly dawn on me how young some of my fellow students would be until I went to an open house at a school that I applied to and saw many students there with their parents!  One girl introduced her mother to the dean of the law school as "the real boss."  That just blew me away!!

SkullTatt

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 03:16:27 PM »
Hi, I am in my mid-thirties. I am old.

I'm not too worried about any age differences. I have noticed that some schools tend to skew older, so visiting is probably a good idea for anybody who's concerned about it. I visited Santa Clara University early admit day and I was about average there. Hastings felt very young, everyone seemed mid-20's.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 07:18:40 PM »
Just hit 35 a couple of weeks ago.  Graudated in '93, now married with two daughters, ages 8 and 1.

My wife pointed out that most of the other 1Ls next yet will have been my daughter's age when I was their age (just out of undergrad).  So when I was 22, they'll have been about 9 years old.

Hopefully I won't be the oldest person in my class, but there probably won't be more than 1 or 2 other people older than me.  But that's cool.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 08:00:48 PM »
Hello fellow older people!  I'm 38, but didn't graduate college until '96-been in the legal field forever and well, since my son started Kindergarten this past fall, it's time for me to go to school again and accomplish this forever long goal!
I'm the opposite of most of you though, it seems.  High gpa, low lsat.  Crossing my fingers on Feb's results!
Nice to see so many of us! :-*

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 04:53:00 AM »
Yes, I have had a six year break since my undergrad and will be starting at William Mitchell (St. Paul) in the autumn. I am going to be studying part-time – I have a legal job at present and hope that will help the post-JD job search (as well as the mortgage payments!) I have been to the campus a couple of times during the day and I feel like I’m 50…..friends tell me the part-time program is much better, fewer “kids” than in the full-time program.