Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about JAG?  (Read 6734 times)

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone know anything about JAG?
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:07:46 PM »
Had a couple of interviews with various branches for a 1L internship... seems like something I would love to do at the start of my career. 

Anyone have experience with JAG?  What are the various differences between the branches, exit options, will it look good if I persue a political career, etc.?

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Anyone know anything about JAG?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
I tried to look stuff up on the internet, but none of the military websites really seemed to give any information.

ecutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 07:57:39 PM »
Here's the website for AF JAG Recruiting.

http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/index.htm

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »
Had a couple of interviews with various branches for a 1L internship... seems like something I would love to do at the start of my career. 

Anyone have experience with JAG?  What are the various differences between the branches, exit options, will it look good if I persue a political career, etc.?

One main difference btw some of the branches is the training youmust undergo prior to begining your JAG job.  For the Marines you have to do all same officer training as everyone else and you are soldier first, lawyer second.  For Army you have to do some officer training where you  learn basic Army skills (do a google search for BOLC II).  Don't know much about Navy or AF.

The order in how "hardcore" the branches are I would put it as something like this  Marines > Army > Navy > AF.

Also, any military service looks good for a political career, so if you have those aspirations I would say you should def consider it.  Although, remember tbere are non-military options that can do the same.

In terms of exit options I think it depends on mostly what your work experience was prior to JAG.  I've heard most go into gov't positions, but even BIGLAW is not out of question if you have the right credentials.

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 10:20:48 PM »
I've been considering doing Army JAG Reserves for a long time, so really want to try for one of those summer internships. Figure JAG 1L and a Biglaw 2L won't be too bad  ;). Nice thing about Army JAG is you get your JAG OBC training at UVA.

Here are some sites -

JAG Recruiting - http://www.jagcnet.army.mil/JARO
JAG Website - http://www.jagcnet.army.mil/
Go Army JAG - http://www.goarmy.com/jag/index.jsp?hmref=s1
UT 1L

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
http://www.uscg.mil/legal/recruit/DCLInterInfo.htm

The Coast Guard has good information, but their legal department is a bit different from the other departments.

Being a JAG is a great job; however, if you're in the Army/Navy, whatever, you really CAN die on the job... although it's not at all likely.

I want to be a Coast Guard lawyer, and I'm very excited about it.

Keep in mind that your starting salary would hover around $50,000 and max out probably around $110-120,000 if you stick with it.  You also get immediate experience whereas you probably wouldn't in private practice with firms.  Call a recruiter or something.  The more I learn about Coast Guard, the more I want to do it.

Man, that Coast Guard program DOES look very sweet.  And with a few exceptions, the places where you'll end up working are top shelf.

Does anyone know what the workload and the quality of work on offer is like?  If this program offers a better lifestyle than private practice, it just might merit very serious consideration.

Smith1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 02:14:33 PM »
I have heard taht the military will pay for Law School if you agree to work for them for a few years. Is that a lie?
LSAT: 165, GPA: 3.67
Don't Know where to go and Feb.1 is long gone.

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »
I have heard taht the military will pay for Law School if you agree to work for them for a few years. Is that a lie?

Very, very few scholarships available and I believe they are only available to Enlisted/OCS/ROTC people, but don't hold me to it.
UT 1L

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 05:40:32 PM »
That's why I want to be one.

You're expected to work 8AM-4:30PM, 5 days a week, although if you do trial stuff it might vary more than that.

You get 30 days paid vacation per year, plus 10 federal holidays. 

You get all the insurance options you might need, plus 2.5% pension per year you work.  You can retire at age 45 with 20 years of work at 60% salary, and then do whatever you want to - at age 45.

Before you sign the dotted line, they tell you where you will be assigned.  It's last minute, but you can still refuse.  You list your top choices when you apply, let's say, Alameda (CA), DC, and Miami - let's say they have no spots open and assign you to Alaska.  You can refuse and just not work for them.

Plus there's some flexibility with the Coast Guard; if you decide you hate being a lawyer after a few years, you can ask for the training to do something else with them.

It's my dream job.  I see my future as being able to afford a nice little Toyota, a tiny house (hopefully in Alameda or maybe Hawaii), one or two pound dogs, and a nice surfboard.  And, working hard and faithfully for the Coast Guard for 40 or so hours a week!

Also, they don't tax part of your income.  So, they pay you something like 52,000 your first year, but something like 10-18,000 of it isn't even taxed.  It's like getting paid a few thousand bucks more!

From what I can tell, you 1) help protect the Coast Guard legally, and 2) help the Coast Guard shut other things down legally, like this:

- environmental:  you may help justify the Coast Guard polluting (bad), but you may also help the Coast Guard keep people from polluting (yay!)

and they do other areas of law... military law stuff, a lot of drug smuggling stuff probably, immigration related things, too.

glad to see there's other ppl similarly excited about JAG opportunities!

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »
Baff Me!