Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 821 times)

erinb

HELP
« on: July 26, 2004, 11:26:45 AM »
 I went to an UG school that has no clout.  But, I have worked at an Ivy League school for the last year.  I have one very strong letter from an undergrad prof. and one ok letter from an Ivy league prof.  Should my third be a strong letter from an unknown prof. at my UG, or a prof. at the Ivy league school? The latter does not know me well, but I volunteered in his lab, so there is some incentive to be nice.
ACK!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 12:00:35 PM »
It'd be nice if everyone could have recs from famous, influential people.  But how many people that get those famous, influential recs know those people really well?  I'd bet there's more than a few that go for the name.

I'd get the rec from whoever knows you best, and can give a personal testimonial regarding your abilities, talents, and likelihood of success in law school.

erinb

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 01:52:24 PM »
I'd say that they know me equally well.  It is that the UG prof.  does not have other  outstanding students to compare me to, so I stand out more.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 01:55:38 PM »
Well, I am relying heavily on one letter or recommendation to get me in to a good school. A letter from Howard Dean. But... I dont know how heavily it will weight because he doesnt know me that well. I would say a professor from your UG school who knows you well and can write a detailed letter about you is aluable in comparison to a letter from a famous person who just sort of knows you. Hit them with a combo move!

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 04:08:47 PM »
edit