Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LOR request form from LSAC  (Read 2682 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
The LOR request form from LSAC
« on: July 26, 2004, 03:19:46 AM »
Okay, I am finally ready to get these out, but I need some help.
The LSAC form is in PDF format, and I don't want any handwriting
on it.  I want to type in my info and the recommender's info.  I
swear I used to know how to type info into a PDF file before printing.
Does anybody remember how to do this?  Do any of you use handwriting
on this form?  Also, I highly recommend against Shrub's advice to
pre address an envelope to LSAC.  I know my lawyer will be using his
matching envelope and matching letterhead when he sends it.  I will
however, enclose a SASE and postage for a copy to be sent to me.

I know my professor will also use the University's letterhead and matching
envelope.  Perhaps postage alone might not be bad idea...for the lawyer too.

I also have a CPA who I know will use his matching envelopes and letterhead.

Did you know that the recommender is supposed to sign his name across the
seal of the envelope that is to be sent back to the applicant (me) ?
Weird.

Any ways, if anybody remembers how to type in a PDF form on your PC,
please enlighten me.  I can't find it. 

Thanks!!!!!

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Gummo

Re: The LOR request form from LSAC
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 05:11:35 AM »
I think this: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/computing/typingonpdf.pdf is it (maybe not, it's late). 

Will law schools even see this form?  I thought the LSAC just used it to match a letter to a file with ease...a lot of people have had recs sent without one and had no consequences.  Whatever, yours will be very neat  :).

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:06:30 AM »
If you print out the pdf from the "my docs->LOR form" link as opposed to the general "LOR" link, they insert all of your information into the form.  I used this for one of my rec forms and it did it for my transcript form as well.

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 11:05:39 AM »
They only have to sign the back of the envelope if they're sending the letter back to you (a kind of proof that you aren't going to see the letter... it's supposed to let the letter writer speak freely knowing you won't ever see the letter).

In the packet to my letter-writers, I included a pre-addressed stamped envelope for mailing the completed letter directly to the LSDAS.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 04:53:07 PM »
They only have to sign the back of the envelope if they're sending the letter back to you (a kind of proof that you aren't going to see the letter... it's supposed to let the letter writer speak freely knowing you won't ever see the letter).

In the packet to my letter-writers, I included a pre-addressed stamped envelope for mailing the completed letter directly to the LSDAS.

Thanks Jacy.  I'll try your approach.

Rocky: I thought the original would go to LSAC and if I request a copy, that copy would be sent back to me to read.  That's why I don't understand the signature thing.  I'll have to go back and take a look.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 05:50:02 PM »
The LSAC form is in PDF format, and I don't want any handwriting on it.  I want to type in my info and the recommender's info.

Ugh. This is why I hate mailing things. Thank god for electronic apps. I am thoroughly intimidated by envelopes-- I mean, finding a typewriter? Learning the weird format magic to print it from computer? What's wrong with plain ol' neat handwriting? Just thinking about envelopes fills me with apocalyptic dread...

"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 06:49:49 PM »
Nope. You only get to see it if the school has a policy of releasing it after the decision-making process.

To quote from the LSDAS site:

Letters will be neither returned to nor copied for the candidate.

The signature thing on the LOR form, while optional, is meant to reassure the writer of the LOR that you won't be able to see or inspect what s/he writes.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 05:07:38 AM »
Are you saying if I ask the recommendor to send me a copy, he will not do so?  I don't see anywhere on the form where he is not allowed to do that.  He will send the original to LSAC, and a copy to me.  LSAC has no idea if he sends me a copy, and he has no reason not to, because, again, it doesn't say not to.   ???

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 06:36:57 AM »
One recommender sent me a copy of the letter.  Some recommenders have been known to tell the applicant to write the letter themselves and they just sign it.
LSAC has no way of knowing if a copy has been sent to you.

Regards

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo