Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's still waiting on Southwestern?  (Read 2091 times)

Shoes

• AOL Instant Messenger - HeeledShoes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Who's still waiting on Southwestern?
« on: July 26, 2004, 12:20:34 AM »
I know I am, but probably not for long.  I've contacted movers and they're all estimating 10-14 days to move my stuff from here in Atlanta to Los Angeles.  With classes starting on the 18th I would have to move next week and that's only if I can book movers for then. 

There's my dilemna and here's my question: Do you think they'll start reviewing the waitlisted applications this week and have responses to us quickly?  I would prefer to know by Thursday so I can book a mover by Friday and be done with it.  Do you think that's a possibility???  I imagine they have received the letters they mailed out to see who's still interested.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
Re: Who's still waiting on Southwestern?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:56:09 AM »
I have heard that Southwestern is really bad with their waitlist; they tend to string people along till classes start. I hope this is not your situation and they let you know soon. Maybe if you call and explain your dilemma they can give you some insight as to what they intend to do with the waitlist. I do not know if you will find out anything solid, but it might be worth a try in your situation.

Good luck.

Also, I was thinking of applying there in September, would you mind telling me your numbers?

~K
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

carolinahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »
I'm still waiting also.  I haven't heard anything yet today.  But I'm sure that a call is on the way soon.  Gotta have a lil bit of faith that this is going to work out.

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 07:45:30 PM »
I called yet again today and got some not so great news.  They said there are about 600 on the waitlist as of right now with no seats are available. :( 

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 08:07:18 PM »
in more pressing news, who says "waiting on"? just new yorkers, or are there any other regions where "waiting on" is used?

where i'm from you only wait on someone if you're a waitress :P

Gummo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 08:26:07 PM »
in more pressing news, who says "waiting on"? just new yorkers, or are there any other regions where "waiting on" is used?

where i'm from you only wait on someone if you're a waitress :P

It seems like I hear "waiting on" a lot down here in the dirty South.

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 08:29:49 PM »
Bama girl here so I guess it's the 'south' in me.

Since I have your attention........... any clue how I might get them to review my file earlier??  I really want to go there and can't even get my bum up to pack for school choice #2.

Gummo

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 09:09:08 PM »
Bama girl here so I guess it's the 'south' in me.

Since I have your attention........... any clue how I might get them to review my file earlier??  I really want to go there and can't even get my bum up to pack for school choice #2.

With 600 on the waitlist and no empty seats this close to the start of classes, it really doesn't look good  :(.  Is it ranked at all? You could always call or write and explain that you have a small window of time in which to change your plans to move there, were they to accept you...

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 01:05:03 AM »
600 just seems like such a huge number and I wonder if that's really an exact number.  Either way I still want to go there and am trying to determine my next step. 

One option is to move to Loyola - New Orleans in hopes of transferring to Southwestern next year.  I am not sure of the chances or if it's even a good option.  I'm just afraid I will lose all 'networking' connections with professors changing schools after my first year.

My second option is to wait it out.  I figure that if I put my things in storage and stay in a hotel for the 1st week of school at Loyola I could still make the move to LA if I do get off the waitlist.  This is both an added expense plus an added headache.  But...........  if I know there's a chance of me being admitted it will all be worth it.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to the Director of Admissions and sending it overnight, but am not exactly sure what to include.  I just want to make sure they know just how interested I am and maybe even include a section about not being put on the waitlist while I was out of the country in May / June (even though I had called to make sure they knew my alternate contact numbers and just how interested I was.)

Any input? 

Wescline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 09:47:37 AM »
Shoes,

I can't weigh in on the Southwestern waitlist progression but I too am on waitlists and feeling very much in limbo as the days get closer to Orientation. I live in Atlanta and am waitlisted at Georgia State and College of William and Mary and am accepted at Cumberland at Samford in Birmingham. I am planning on living in a hotel through Orientation and possibly until the end of the first week of classes because if Georgia State or William and Mary call, I need to be able to go at a moments notice. I'm going to forward my house phone to my wifes cell phone in case any of the schools call while I'm at Orientation and she is at work. I think I'm just concerned that if I happen to get off the waitlist and they try to call I'll already be in Alabama and might miss their call. Anyway, that is how I'm handling the situation! Good Luck to you and know you are not alone in the agonizing waitlist hell!