Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much Native American must you be to mark it on apps?  (Read 29343 times)

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
How much Native American must you be to mark it on apps?
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:55:57 PM »
I do identify with it culturally, and have somewhat strong ties to it through both sides of the family, but genetically I am only 1/4 NA. Should I still mark it? I did on my UG stuff. 
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
Re: How much Native American must you be to mark it on apps?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »
Call the schools that you are applying to anonymously and ask them. (I'm going to guess that 1/4 is sufficient to qualify as Native American, especially since you included that information on your undergraduate applications)>
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

jorge

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
I think 1/4 qualifies you for a lot of the NA scholarships that are out and about. Calling's not a bad idea. Maybe you can bargain for 1/4 of the supposed LSAT boost.  ;)

wakpala27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
You could certainly use it for your apps., but to get funds a person needs to have proof, generally what is called status card.  Status cards, as far as I know, are obtained via the tribe one claims and only after a blood linkage has been established.  The status card has an ID # that is used, at least by the  federal government, to determine your eligibility. 

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:26:39 AM »
wakpala is correct about the status cards.  Some undergrad (and I suspect some law schools) require a status card as proof of your affiliation with a recognized native american tribe.  Claiming NA status without a status card can cause problems if law schools ask you to present one.  Definitely check with every law school you're applying to.  Also, you may want to see if you can get a status card from the tribe you are culturally affiliated with.  I'm surprised that, if you really are active in it, that they haven't presented you with one yet. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:27:40 PM »
My gf is at least 1/8 Cherokee, but her immediate family has never filed nor legally claimed NA status.  How hard is it to get a status card if she wants one?  Shes think of applying to some grad schools in the next fall.  She doesnt participate in the cultural stuff, and she isnt interested in getting scholarship money out of being NA either.  She merely wouldnt mind to get the extra boost that being a NA will afford her.  (She just wants to play the admissions game the best she can.)

DJ Shadowolf

• Sr. Citizen
  • DJ Shadowolf- Mixing at JHOP Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:43:07 PM »
I been looking into this subject. Usually on an application they would ask what tribe official affliation you are with? Now most tribes will not accept under 50% nor if your ancestors did not sign any of the treaties. Since you are Cherokee it depends on where your ancestors were from the the Southern Cherokee will accept you as tribal member, but the Southern Cherokee Nation is accepted officially by the US Government because they do not have treaty will goverment. I all really depends on how anal the ADCOMM is with their accepted defination.

In my case I cannot claim because my ancestors did not sign any treaties and they rebelled again the trail of tears by hiding in arkansas on a plantation.
Da Whisles go whoooo

Studying for LSAT Class of the 2- 10.

ONLY THE RED LEADS OTHERS FOLLOW......

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:35:14 PM »
Im not sure wish one she is blood linked to, but its whichever one is in NC prolly.

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »
I'm part Native American... enough to claim it... but I don't.  I literally have the papers to authenticate that claim... but I never really dealt with any issues related to that part of my ancestory.  Ironically enough...  of all my random ethnicities (black, german, puerto rican, native american), I feel the greatest affinity for native american culture... but I didn't grow up on a reservation.. I didn't hang with the tribe... so I didn't check it.

Well, it appears on LSN that you did check some sort of URM. I'm not saying thats solely why you got into all of those schools, but I doubt it hurt your chances. 

My gf merely wants to be able to go to grad school where ill be going to law school (or at least nearby).  If checking a box will help that materialize, then great.  If its likely she'll catch a bunch of *&^% for it if she can only come up with claiming 1/8, then shell decide against it.  She doesnt want money or any financial support that may come her way b/c of her bloodline (shes my female dog... well, dont tell her that), but just wants to have the best possible chance to stay in the vacinity ill be.

Thanks for the help

Oh and I know some ppl are touchy about ppl who look white and predominately identify as white trying to claim a urm status.  I doubt want to offend you and my apologies if I do. 

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 10:32:56 AM »
In the above post, it seemed as though your were suggesting that I somehow 'wrongly' claimed URM status.  In addition to being native american, I'm also black, puerto rican, and german.  Whenever race was an issue, I was treated as 'black'....  except when I was living in San Diego right after 9/11... then everyone was worried that I was a muslim of unknown ethnicity.  Also, I grew up poor.  So, the terms 'underrepresented minority" or "disadvantaged" would apply.   

I've also been very blunt about the role that race played in some of my acceptances.  You think you're making any comment that hasn't already been made?  Or that you're informing me of a fact that I have yet to consider?  No.  Of course not.  You just felt compelled to point that out.... for what reason?  Like I didn't already know... and like dozens of people on this website can't confirm that I've been entirely blunt about the situation?     

So there you go.  Thanks for playing.   

I think we just had a misunderstanding.  From your earlier posts, I gathered that while technically you might qualify as urm, you have not had an urm upbringing.  No reason to ger all hot about it.  My gf was the first one in her family to finish college (her dad went one year on a football scholarship) and most of her family is poor.  While she might not appear urm while out in public, I think her circumstances qualify her as urm just as much as the obviously black, hispanic, asian, et al ppl do who have wealthy parents.

Anyways, what I wrote earlier wasnt to offend you.  I tried to express that idea, but I guess it didnt come through.