Law School Discussion

Notre Dame "provisional list"

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
Notre Dame "provisional list"
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:57:26 AM »
I got the letter today dated 02/03/06. Very sad, I thought I had a good shot at this school.

What can I do to let Notre Dame know I am really interested??

artsy

Re: Notre Dame "provisional list"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 08:21:34 AM »
What's a provisional list?  Is that like a waiting list?  What did the letter say?

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 08:37:34 AM »
I think it is a fancy name for the waitlist, it said that they didn't want to exceed their desired class of 180 and if I want to remain on the list to submit a form.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 09:56:15 AM »
There was a "Why ND?" essay we were supposed to right?

Hrm... contributing factor to my glorious position on the Provisional List?

Personally, ND can take their Provisional List and stick it... where ever they like. I would assume that if I was eventually offerred admission it would not include any $$, and I've gotten $$ from peer schools.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 10:17:06 AM »
There was none for the regular application that I remember. I got accepted without one, so it didn't seem to matter much for me. I think they're pretty concerned about accepting people who actually want to go there since they have so few spots to start with.  Good luck to you all who really want to go.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:18:45 AM »
I got the letter today dated 02/03/06. Very sad, I thought I had a good shot at this school.

What can I do to let Notre Dame know I am really interested??

What are your numbers?

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 06:46:44 AM »
That's surprising.  I'm guessing they figure that you are more interested in a T14 and just applied to ND as a backup. It's most likely yield protection. It's total crap if you ask me, but the same thing happened to me with Fordham, so I know how it feels.  I think Why Me? essays are pretty stupid, but I think that it really does play a role at ND.

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 06:48:24 AM »
That's surprising.  I'm guessing they figure that you are more interested in a T14 and just applied to ND as a backup. It's most likely yield protection. It's total crap if you ask me, but the same thing happened to me with Fordham, so I know how it feels.  I think Why Me? essays are pretty stupid, but I think that it really does play a role at ND.

yeah, I was really surprised. I thought I had a shot seeing the other numbers that got in but I didn't do a Why ND essay. I am going to send one in now.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 06:59:29 AM »
The fact of the matter is that Notre Dame just doesn't accept that many people, period.  I think ND is the 10th most selective school in terms of acceptance percentage and it has a fairly high yield rate among schools of similar rankings (I put the stats on another thread, can't remember which). I think it really wants to keep the class below 180 and doesn't want to fall into the same situation as other schools who have overenrollment.

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 07:02:35 AM »
I thought I would get some $$$$ and that was a reason they were very high on my list now I doubt i'll be getting anything, and that is if I get in.