Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thomas jefferson on full scholorship VS tier 2 with no money??  (Read 4359 times)

soadfan

• View Profile
    • Email
Thomas jefferson on full scholorship VS tier 2 with no money??
« on: February 09, 2006, 09:38:47 PM »
i just got offered a full ride to TJ (my safety school) and im still waiting to hear from my other choices (wisconsin, USC, Ohio st, case, MINN, Depaul, Arizona and ASU). i am assuming i will get into one or maybe 2 of these schools, but most likely with little or no money because of my numbers - 156/143 and 3.2, but i am an URM, so that will help. so the question is should i take thomas jeff's offer of a full ride vs going to a tier 2 and getting out with 60K+ in debt?? i have read stories on the internet about TJ graduates not being able to get jobs. so im thinking whats the point of graduating from TJ with no debt if i cant get a job when i finish. does anyone know anything about this? i talked to the asst. dean at TJ and she had nothing but good things to say about her school.  also i am using deloggio's consulting program - she is delivering everything as promised, i highly recommend her!! i know i will have more good news in the next month or so

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas jefferson on full scholorship VS tier 2 with no money??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 09:45:37 PM »
Don't really know anything about TJ so can really advise you on that...but how much did it cost you to use dellogio consulting service?

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 09:46:44 PM »
Thomas Jefferson is up and coming! I will be attending there too. They got over 4,000 applications this term for 225 seats.

The school has a new leadership team, Dean, Admission Dean and Director of Admission... the school is not going to be a lower tier school for long. All three have an awesome track record.

Vera :)

PS: Hope to see you in August 06.
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

soadfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:50:25 PM »
Don't really know anything about TJ so can really advise you on that...but how much did it cost you to use dellogio consulting service?

it's different for everyone.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:00:17 PM »
It might be an ok choice, just don't expect to get a job and be prepared to be failed out by their harsh curve. Honestly though, if that's your best choice I would suggest reconsidering your career choice. A paralegal at a biglaw firm would make more money than most TJ grads and you can do it with just a BA.

soadfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 10:05:02 PM »
It might be an ok choice, just don't expect to get a job and be prepared to be failed out by their harsh curve. Honestly though, if that's your best choice I would suggest reconsidering your career choice. A paralegal at a biglaw firm would make more money than most TJ grads and you can do it with just a BA.

hmm thats kind of the info i was looking for. can you explain your sources for this? i can understand that i might not get a job in NYC or boston, but if i want to stay in cali, i assumed it would be fine for that area.

cyberrev

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 10:22:28 PM »
i just got offered a full ride to TJ (my safety school) and im still waiting to hear from my other choices (wisconsin, USC, Ohio st, case, MINN, Depaul, Arizona and ASU). i am assuming i will get into one or maybe 2 of these schools, but most likely with little or no money because of my numbers - 156/143 and 3.2, but i am an URM, so that will help. so the question is should i take thomas jeff's offer of a full ride vs going to a tier 2 and getting out with 60K+ in debt?? i have read stories on the internet about TJ graduates not being able to get jobs. so im thinking whats the point of graduating from TJ with no debt if i cant get a job when i finish. does anyone know anything about this? i talked to the asst. dean at TJ and she had nothing but good things to say about her school.  also i am using deloggio's consulting program - she is delivering everything as promised, i highly recommend her!! i know i will have more good news in the next month or so

loretta deloggio is awesome.  i'm not a client, but we have been corresponding via email after i asked her for some advice, which she was good enough to give me.  she knows her stuff, in my opinion

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:25:45 PM »
it's different for everyone.

How different? can you give me some numbers to work with here?

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »
A friend of mine from undergrad bombed the LSAT and TJ was one of the few schools he could get into. He went and did well in his first year (don't know exactly where he was, percentage-wise, it was t15 or t20), but then transferred to Marquette for 2L.

It worked out well for him as he graduated last year and got a job in the Milwaukee area right away. He loved living in San Diego I know, but had a long-term girlfriend back in Wisky so he wanted to get back.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 11:47:59 AM »
If you end up getting in to one of the T2's you mentioned then you should go there (IMO).  The salary difference and better job prospects should be worth the increased debt load.  Take a look at the career placement rates and salaries for the T2s that accept you and compare them to thomas jefferson's.

The problem I see with jefferson (as my friend kruddler  ;) pointed out) is that it has a hard time even placing locally because of the other local schools that have much better reputations.  A lot of lower ranked schools are still able to place well because they may still be the best (or 2nd best) law school in their area.  This is not the case with Thomas Jefferson.