Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oh how I love a good scandal!  (Read 1288 times)

almuhajaba

Re: Oh how I love a good scandal!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 07:27:36 PM »
not I

almuhajaba

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:29:59 PM »
Impeachment 2006.

or

Libbygate.

:D

Libbygate actually sounds kinda like a fun themepark for tweeners...

tbbs1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »
without knowing all the details, i sort of fail to see the scandal here -- at least, any new scandal beyond what has already been established in the libby affair. leaving aside libby's alleged lying to the grand jury, i fail to see the big deal with selective leaking of classified information from something like the NIE on Iraq (as opposed to say, classified info that protects a covert CIA operative). if you read any of the national papers with any regularity, you know how often classified information is given to the press. and so what if libby's superiors authorized him to leak? it may not be right (i, for one, would prefer a vast reduction in the amount of classified material), but it is well established pattern of WH behavior. previous administrations have even had designated leakers.

tbbs1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »
yes, it is against the law to leak classified material, but it nevertheless gets leaked everyday and there are few prosecutions that i know of. for example, virtually everything we know about the NSA wiretapping story is classified material that has been leaked by someone in government. now, that is not leaked by the WH, obviously, but the basic point is that people leak classified materials all of the time in order to achieve a certain objective, be it pushing a partisan agenda or calling attention to controversial issues.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 08:41:21 PM »
you figure they be so reasonable if they ever catch who leaked warrantless eavesdropping on americans?

and since when it harmnless to reveal classified identity of covert agent?

tbbs1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 08:48:33 PM »
you figure they be so reasonable if they ever catch who leaked warrantless eavesdropping on americans?

if by "they" you mean the bush administration, definitely not (though i am hopeful that that won't happen). and if they came down hard on them, i would accuse them of the same hypocrisy.

and since when it harmnless to reveal classified identity of covert agent?

no, it is not harmless. it has the potential to be very dangerous. that is the point i was trying to make -- i was trying to distinguish between leaking classified information from the National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq that details weapons programs (much of which should have been public before the war, in my opinion) versus classified info that jeopardizes the status of a covert agent. the former is much more defensible than the latter.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 09:23:15 AM »
ok.  you fine american.

tkd720man

• law schools should have basketball teams
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tkd720man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 11:23:32 PM »
without knowing all the details, i sort of fail to see the scandal here -- at least, any new scandal beyond what has already been established in the libby affair.

The scandal is that there's now evidence of a deliberate, systematic effort to break the law.

Like you said - everybody knows that previous administrations have leaked classified information. The difference is that with previous admins, nobody would admit and there was no tangible evidence that it was a coordinated effort directed from above. One of those things you could deny despite the obvious because it couldn't be proven.

Here they're admitting to it publicly.

It also establishes that the Bush Administration has intentionally leaked classified information for political gains - that they have a clear policy of doing so.

That's a damaging revelation, especially in light of the allegations made today by the CIA's former (2000-2005) head of South Asian operations (that would include Iraq) that the Bush Administration intentionally misused intelligence "not to inform policy, but to justify a decision already made."

tbbs1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 03:15:57 PM »

just to clarify...do you mean by this that it's ok to leak classified information since it is done all the time?

i think it is ok to leak classified information in certain instances because the information in question shouldn't be classified at all. much more information is classified than warrants that distinction.