Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Skinny on Cornell, assuming you still care...  (Read 9884 times)

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Skinny on Cornell, assuming you still care...
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2006, 04:37:21 PM »
Well.  I paid $75 for a decision.

Seriously? C'mon. Try putting yourself in someone else's shoes. You've apparently decided on ND -- great choice. Congrats. What do you need the decision from Cornell for? I can think of only two reasons: 1) You don't care about the other people involved in this whole mess; or 2) You just wanna stick it to someone like me, who's perhaps being a bit of a jerk about asking you to withdraw.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a jerk about this -- honestly. But I'm as frustrated as everyone else over Cornell's tardiness, and for me it really matters. Learning that there are those of you out there who are contributing to the slowness of things, waiting for a decision that doesn't matter only compounds my frustration.

Forgive me for being a jerk. Think about the others involved in the process. Then kindly withdraw. You'll get good karma out of it. I promise.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2006, 04:51:01 PM »
At this point it is moot because I have gone back to decision and am assuming that my rejection is in the mail.  The only reason that I didn't withdraw earlier is because another poster had said they didn't make decisions until late May.  If there is nothing in the mailbox today then I will promptly withdraw on Monday.

friershier

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2006, 04:55:02 PM »
I just got a letter placing me on the reserve list today (4/6). The letter makes it sound like the reserve list is just a pre-waitlist does anyone if Cornell has a waitlist yet or has been added directly to the waitlist. Also does anyone have any idea what the numbers of people coming off the waitlist are?

bmw

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »

Seriously? C'mon. Try putting yourself in someone else's shoes. You've apparently decided on ND -- great choice. Congrats. What do you need the decision from Cornell for? I can think of only two reasons: 1) You don't care about the other people involved in this whole mess; or 2) You just wanna stick it to someone like me, who's perhaps being a bit of a jerk about asking you to withdraw.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a jerk about this -- honestly. But I'm as frustrated as everyone else over Cornell's tardiness, and for me it really matters. Learning that there are those of you out there who are contributing to the slowness of things, waiting for a decision that doesn't matter only compounds my frustration.

Forgive me for being a jerk. Think about the others involved in the process. Then kindly withdraw. You'll get good karma out of it. I promise.

Dude, you really shouldn't be getting on other poeple's cases.  I realize you're frustrated, but first of all, it is highly unlikely that their withdrawing will make any difference to you.  The schools accept many more people than will actually attend becasue they assume 75% are not going to send in a deposit or withdraw.  Those people you're yelling at have most likely been factored in by the school already as part of that group that will not attend.  What do you think -- that if one withdraws, it'll instantly open up a spot for you?  That's absurd.

Second of all, most likely these people have higher grades or test scores than you.  Unfortunately for you, they have earned their position, and you have not.  Maybe if your GPA or test scores were higher, you would be in their position.  But don't berate them for not withdrawing.  They're just as entitled as you are (in fact, probably more entitled) to receive their decision and then make their choice.

smiley

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2006, 05:13:51 PM »

No, I understand, LitDoc. I don't think you're being a jerk. This is a highly stressful process and it's crunch time. I think, had I gotten a decision earlier from Cornell I would've seriously considered them along with Michigan, and had to take into consideration all the financial aspects, etc. But you're right, I am going to Michigan and don't need to wait for a decision from Cornell.

I think there is something strange in people about getting a decision and having there be finality to the whole process. That is probably an incorrect way of viewing it. The decisions lie with us, the applicants, in where we choose to apply and where we decide to matriculate. Some people are able to withdraw without ever knowing and there are those of us that hang on until the last possible minute. I'm thinking of a friend of mine who, for undergrad, only applied to Harvard and MIT. MIT was his first choice. At home on April 1 there were two envelopes. He opened MIT's and found out he was accepted. He never opened the envelope from Harvard and went to MIT, happy as a clam.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your decisions and choices. I'm happy with mine and I will withdraw from Cornell.

p.s. I didn't have a stellar LSAT score or incredibly great grades. I went to a branch of a not all that prestigious state university. I think these are the reasons I was possibly deferred in the first place, so I don't think I'm any more deserving of a decision. We're all entitled to the decision, I think LitDoc is encouraging some of us to make our own decisions here. And we are.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »

I got my rejection in the mail today. I hope this brings you a measure of comfort.
U Chi '09

friershier

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »
The law school application game is weird ACK I got flat out rejected from some of the schools you got into and got waitlisted at some you got rejected from I also got waitlisted/rejected by my safetys but got into or waitlisted at much better schools. If I could do it over again I would just apply to all of the top 25 schools since it seems like it is role of the dice in getting into some

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2006, 05:56:52 PM »
The law school application game is weird ACK I got flat out rejected from some of the schools you got into and got waitlisted at some you got rejected from I also got waitlisted/rejected by my safetys but got into or waitlisted at much better schools. If I could do it over again I would just apply to all of the top 25 schools since it seems like it is role of the dice in getting into some

Are you a splitter? It really is rolling the dice.  :)
U Chi '09

Lady Stardust

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2006, 12:23:20 AM »

So, are all EA applicants back at "decision" at this point?

I wasn't as of 5:00 PM but am now...

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2006, 02:39:25 AM »
mine is now updated as decision as well.  it wasn't as of 6:00 pm (friday), but is now.  unfortunately litdoc, i have little to no hope for any of us.  i assume it will be a cascade of rejections/waitlists.  in the case of a waitlist, i will promptly withdraw. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell