Law School Discussion

Author of the Tipping Point and Blink on Admissions at Ivey League Universities

BrerAnansi

• Thread Killer
    • View Profile
as well as quotas and preferences among other things.  The long read is worth the illumination... ;)

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/051010crat_atlarge

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Very interesting article, but I'm not sure what the author's thesis is.  At first it seems as if he's setting himself to be against the quotas and the introduction of "character" into admissions considerations, but then he goes on to discuss how people who were considered to be less qualified in terms of merit (ie: athletic recruits, minorities, etc) tended to be more successful after college than their peers who were considered deserving based on merit.  Also, he seems to support Harvard's decision to switch to a character-based model of admissions based on their desire not for people who will simply do well in college, but for leaders after college (his discussion of Hunter College alumni seemed to bolster this claim).  Overall, interesting article, though I'm still confused as to what the main point was (oh god, I'm speaking like someone who just took the LSAT.  Damn.)

BrerAnansi

• Thread Killer
    • View Profile
I think in the end that the point is that the Iveys are the brand names of academia and they always have and always will do whatever it takes to protect that brand...whether or not their consumers agree with their policies.  Translation for some of the posters on this board: no one deserves to go to any Ivey, they may deserve to go to a good law school but beyond that any judgements on whomever the adcomms of these "luxury lawschools" grant admission just confers inceredible arrogance on the person they originated from....the college applicant's version of "I'm not incredibly lucky to own a mansion and drive a Bentley...I deserve it".