Law School Discussion

michigan phone call

[removed]

michigan phone call
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »
oh this is bad...really bad...someone from michigan just called my cell at 9:00pm...i didnt recognize the number...i definitely gave the standard credit card solicitor / stalking ex answer...followed closely by...1)the realization that i had just probably offended the caller...2.)a brain fart for a way to salvage the conversation (e.g. long awkward pause)...3.)then i stammered, "no, no i dont have any questions as of right now...im waiting for financial aid and admissions decisions from a few schools. ill call or e-mail if i have anything for you. thanks for calling..."...click

did anyone else get this call? did anyone else make as much of an a++ of themselves as me? does this blunder merit some sort of explanatory e-mail?

Re: michigan phone call
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 06:12:26 PM »
dude, that is REALLY bad.  michigan is NOTORIOUS for withdrawing acceptance offers if they find out you have bad phone skills.  go ahead and cross them off your list.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 06:18:11 PM »
I just taken off the acceptance list cuz I answered that phone call on the crapper!  I mean how was I supposed to know?

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:22:39 PM »
Are you guys sure one of both of your calls were not related to the Phonathon? Admitted students can look here.... www.law.umich.edu/admittedstudents/connect 

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »
Ha!  Someone just left me a mean response on LSN because of my funny post above.  You guys are the best!!!

[removed]

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:34:45 PM »
ok...point taken…i guess i probably overreacted…the sarcasm is thick on this thread…nevertheless, for those that did get calls, id be interested to hear…

odaiko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 10:28:15 PM »
ok...point taken…i guess i probably overreacted…the sarcasm is thick on this thread…nevertheless, for those that did get calls, id be interested to hear…

I got the call, but they sent me an e-mail last week telling me to expect it either yesterday, today, or some time in March. Therefore, I wasn't surprised when the call arrived last night.

After talking to that guy, I got an e-mail today from another Mich student who said he knew I had already been contacted, but wanted to offer a 1L perspective if I was interested. It bodes well that their students are so willing to plug the school!

postal007

• Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 11:41:05 PM »
I missed the phone call, but I got an email from a 3L who went to my undergrad and also majored in CS.  They're really pairing people up or something =).

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 07:58:36 AM »
I got the phone call last night - then an e-mail from another student at around the same time.

It seems they try to pair you up with people geographically; the student I talked to went to undergrad in the same part of the country I did.
I asked him a few questions, but most of the info. I'd already heard before. Standard positive comments, and I'm already decided, so...

Still, it is nice to receive all this personal attention. It makes me feel very welcomed.

odaiko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 08:22:26 AM »
I got the phone call last night - then an e-mail from another student at around the same time.

It seems they try to pair you up with people geographically; the student I talked to went to undergrad in the same part of the country I did.
I asked him a few questions, but most of the info. I'd already heard before. Standard positive comments, and I'm already decided, so...

Still, it is nice to receive all this personal attention. It makes me feel very welcomed.

I think they look at "soft factors" as well when they pair you up. Both students who contacted me are part of the gay student organization, but not from my geographic region or undergrad school.