Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Stanford worse than Harvard? also: Why is Stanford so great?  (Read 1446 times)

pnkldy

• View Profile
Is Stanford worse than Harvard? also: Why is Stanford so great?
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:30:20 PM »
So I am in Stanford purgatory, waiting to hear if they will bend the rules and let me in. Meanwhile, I've been contemplating: is there any real chance I will actually go to Stanford given that I have been accepted to Harvard? Somebody tell me why STanford is great, or why Stanford is not great.

Keep in mind: I currently live in LA, will return to California after law school, and I have always lived in one part of CA or another... this translates to a complete and total hate for all things snowy and cold.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Re: Is Stanford worse than Harvard? also: Why is Stanford so great?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 06:35:58 PM »
So I am in Stanford purgatory, waiting to hear if they will bend the rules and let me in. Meanwhile, I've been contemplating: is there any real chance I will actually go to Stanford given that I have been accepted to Harvard? Somebody tell me why STanford is great, or why Stanford is not great.

Keep in mind: I currently live in LA, will return to California after law school, and I have always lived in one part of CA or another... this translates to a complete and total hate for all things snowy and cold.

I think you just answered your own question  :D
Who's your Daddy now?

spud1987

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:34:29 PM »
Ya Stanford is great because the weather is great, the campus is beautiful, and you're all but guaranteed a great job wherever you want.  Did I mention the weather is great  ;D

Outofcollege

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 11:42:13 PM »
Pnkldy,

The very fact that you've lived most of your life in Cali tells me you should go to Harvard. Bi-coastal perspective is helpful in law and life. You can spend summers working in LA and will find plenty of people at Harvard who plan to return to California. Consider the east coast a study abroad experience. Obviously your choice comes down to more than just weather (although warmth is tempting). You'll be in a library or classroom working most of the time anyway. Just as eastcoasters need to see Rt. 1 and the Rockies and experience the Cali vibe, westcoasters need to see the Cape and the New England landscape and experience the northeast's vibe.

$.02,
OOC

asdf1234

• first person to guess the correct city WINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 11:50:16 PM »

One comment in one of the guide books struck me as interesting...

"Stanford is just close enough to San Fransisco that you think you will go there often, but just far enough that you actually wont."

just food for thought.
HLS Class of 2009

My summer internship pays me to surf the web.  It's fantastic.

pnkldy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 01:58:09 PM »
Thanks OOC and asdf1234. I know you are right. I want the "study abroad" experience of moving to Boston;  I think I just want to know why it HYS and not HY and then Stanford.

After talking to some of the attorneys I work for, they've all said that Harvard will be better for me long term, that Stanford grads have an attitude problem that Harvard doesn't breed (maybe the bigger class size forces you to know you still have to perform to stand out?), and I'm really excited to know that a few of the law firms I'm interested in here in LA recruit 1L summer associates from Harvard.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 02:38:02 PM »

One comment in one of the guide books struck me as interesting...

"Stanford is just close enough to San Fransisco that you think you will go there often, but just far enough that you actually wont."

just food for thought.

FWIW, a friend of my who's a 1L at Stanford spends every weekend in San Francisco with his girlfriend, a med student at USF. He manages. But I would agree that you wouldn't really make it up there super often without a compelling draw.
U Chi '09

asdf1234

• first person to guess the correct city WINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 07:11:46 PM »

After talking to some of the attorneys I work for, they've all said that Harvard will be better for me long term, that Stanford grads have an attitude problem that Harvard doesn't breed

Yeah... being expected to work 60 hours a week in a law firm after spending three years playing frisbee with your conlaw professor can do that to you... :P

I'm just teasing, of course.  I'm actually a Harvard-acceptee-Stanford-purgatory like yourself.  I actually wanted a S over H in a big way a few months ago, but a new girlfriend (I'm from the East Coast already) and a reaffirmation to working internationally (where the Harvard brand name carries even more weight) made me realign my preferences.

They are both fantastic schools.  Just choose whichever one interests you the most, which seems to be Harvard right now.  If you are really unsure, visit them both.
HLS Class of 2009

My summer internship pays me to surf the web.  It's fantastic.

AlanShore

• Sr. Citizen
  • One day...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 11:40:50 PM »
One thing that I really liked about stanford was the small class size...I understand that you have great access to your profs at H, but with a first year class size of 80ish it's hard not to kind of get lost in the shuffle.  Also, if you're planning on staying in CA anyway, why not go to school there?

BTW, congrats on the H acceptance...i'm sure you'll be successful no matter where you go.

AShore
Corona Light with Lime:
Bud Select (WL): 3 of them
Warm Busch: Chicago, Columbia, Yale, NYU (:()
Still Brewing: too many to count
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ChuckNorris

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:15:01 AM »

After talking to some of the attorneys I work for, they've all said that Harvard will be better for me long term, that Stanford grads have an attitude problem that Harvard doesn't breed

Yeah... being expected to work 60 hours a week in a law firm after spending three years playing frisbee with your conlaw professor can do that to you... :P

60 hours a week?  That sounds great :)  Does that exist?  I think its more like 100  >:( :(
HLS '09