Law School Discussion

"African American Lives" with Skip Gates (+ racial ancestry + "black scholars")

Re: DO NOT MISS: African American Lives
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »
Did you ask him why the hell he came out with that crazy CD?  I'm quite curious.

crazy8

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 06:46:45 PM »
wtf is "affirmative action money?"

Here is his exact quote:

"Oh, man -- it was the long dark night of the soul," he said, drawing a big laugh. "You know, what about my reparation check? I have to give away half of my reparation check? All that affirmative action money, I have to give it back. It's terrible. It's very embarrassing to me."

But it also solidified his thinking, he told the crowd. "What does it mean? Does that make me less black? I had to ask all those questions. And no, I mean, I'm very secure in my African American identity. It just means that African Americans and European Americans have been inextricably intertwined on the most intimate level from Day One in this country."

A little later, he added something equally crucial:

"I always say to my students, there are 35 million African Americans; there are 35 million ways to be black."

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »
Did you ask him why the hell he came out with that crazy CD?  I'm quite curious.

Yeah, he said it was all about the hizzoes.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 08:53:26 PM »
Ooh Chris Tucker is so fine, and he was SUCH a cute baby!!!

jnc18

• View Profile
I've been giving some serious thought .

One thing I've realized that has me kind of pissed off is that I can't even do the patriclan test, because if you follow the line of my Y chromosome, you end up at my damn slaveowning white great great grand"father".  I've got a damn white Y chromosome.  That's not nearly as cool as tracing back your paternal lineage to a tribe in Angola.

I'm sitting here thinking about various people I can go through in my extended family to genetically trace my African roots.  It's pretty exciting, honestly.  I'd love to go to Africa before heading off to law school.

Anothing I was thinking was that the Admixture test (the one that determines what percent of your DNA comes from what continent) would be extremely interesting for many hispanics and latinos to take.  There'd be all kinds of intriguing mixes of Native American, African, and European in there.

KT

• View Profile
So my roommate is an Af-AfAm grad student at Harvard, and she was in the documentary during the discussion bit, nodding attentively...

Highly entertaining for us.

And Skip is a nice guy!

silva

• vc n ss
    • AOL Instant Messenger - donel1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 06:14:15 AM »

I actually saw Bro.West before his cd came out. Personally I think he just wanted to express himself in another way.  The man has so much to say, for example on the track "N-word" he talks about how Afro-Amer people have internalized the inferior and subordinate mentality that the word "n-word" cast on their fathers.  I agree with that because why else would you let people who come here from other parts of the world and don't know anything about the Afro-Amer experience and allow them to call you "my n-word?"  They don't respect you.

Hey other dude, you should go to AFrica if you can, I went to Ghana couple years back and it was the best thing I've ever done. And it didn't hurt that the women were the most beautiful I've ever seen in my life.

jayscoot: Do you have a sister?  That should work, I think.  I'm no scientist, so don't quote me.

Africa is wonderful-- you should definitely go before law school even if you haven't pinpointed what part of Africa you're from by then.  It will change your life.

crazy8

Anyone here to the South Africa program that Howard offers?  I probably should be asking this on the 1L board, but oh well.

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
Wow this special is pretty cool. I know about my family heritage through documents and information passed down through the generations. However I would really love to get a DNA break down of where my people come from.