Law School Discussion

"African American Lives" with Skip Gates (+ racial ancestry + "black scholars")

chidochido

• Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DO NOT MISS: African American Lives
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 02:56:03 PM »
Chris Tucker was very cool and I was cracking up when Whoopi found out that she didn't have any Native American ancestry and she said, "Well I guess I can't get any of that reservation money!" Hilarious...

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »
Journey to Africa (I think) was where I first saw that Gates was married to a white woman..this was a few yrs ago right? I agree with u faith (as usual) I'm pretty serious as well and things like that leave me heated...

did anybody see the journey to africa special? there was some craziness on there as well. this special was 100 times better imo, but still he is out there enough that he has said some crazy stuff. when i saw him speak, he talked alot about his dad and them. the good hair stuff i think was about growing up color struck or around people who were. but he just makes too much light of it esp. in front of white audiences. sorta like, yeah rememba when we usedta talk about who had good hair? hahahahaaha as opposed to, wow, we really need to heal ourselves as black people. or something of that nature. i guess its like people who think its okay to call someone black as coal in front of white people. i'd say that kind of stuff is crazy, but its even more off the hook if you say it in a mixed audience. but i'll admit i'm a little serious compared to most, so...

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »
I recommend that those who can afford it pre-order the African American Lives DVD.

The Slavery, and the Making of America DVD is also excellent!

I think this is your shortest post EVER.  :D

:D Thanks for the laugh. You probably said what a dozen were thinking!

Yes, I know some of my posts get a little long. However, I do try to make them worth the time it takes to read them. And, while they occasionally break with standard BLSD brevity conventions, I am hopeful they are not completely absent of wit.

BTW: did you read of Betty Friedan's passing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4682228.stm

I did.  :'(  I think I'm the only feminist around these parts though, so I didn't bring it up.

no you're not. feminine mystique was my book when i was 16.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 03:25:25 PM »

Glad to hear it Mo. As I've become more involved with and more passionate about feminism, LGBT politics, and advocating for the mixed race movement, I find myself feeling a little alienated from mainstream Blackness sometimes. Thanks for speaking up  :)

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 03:32:38 PM »

Glad to hear it Mo. As I've become more involved with and more passionate about feminism, LGBT politics, and advocating for the mixed race movement, I find myself feeling a little alienated from mainstream Blackness sometimes. Thanks for speaking up  :)

There's a good journal here too to get involved with if you come - Yale Journal of Law and Feminism.  I enjoy it very much - kinda cool, nonhierarchical, consensual way of government.  And there are a lot of guys too so it's nice.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »

There's a good journal here too to get involved with if you come - Yale Journal of Law and Feminism.  I enjoy it very much - kinda cool, nonhierarchical, consensual way of government.  And there are a lot of guys too so it's nice.

I definitely will not be at Yale next year, but thanks for the tip  :D I am not sure if I am going to be in law school at all...alot has changed in the past month or so  :-\

silva

• vc n ss
    • AOL Instant Messenger - donel1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 05:12:22 PM »
Yea, some people call Cornell West a lil nutty, but I'll take him or Michael Eric Dyson over Gates any day.  I just could not take some of the things he says seriuosly when I found out he had a white wife.  Then again, I had a professor in ug who was hard a core "black power" man, and I went to his office hours one day and realized he had a white wife....crazy.  But dude is still cool.

BTW has anyone ever read Michael Eric Dyson's book "Why I Love Black Women"?  It's an excellent read!!! I recommend.

I've heard Bro. West in person before and even bought his cd; I love Mike E.Dyson, that book was given to me as a gift from an ex-girlfriend and it's excellent.  As for Bro.Gates, I didn't pay much attention to him before this PBS series. But let me say something, I think there is a fallacy in assuming that because the man is married to a White woman he can't be genuine is his zeal for Black awareness.  Now that said, Bro.Gates does seem to be striving to align himself with his Blackness without letting go of a seemingly snobbish pride his family has in being so "White." 

crazy8

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 05:37:41 PM »
Yea, some people call Cornell West a lil nutty, but I'll take him or Michael Eric Dyson over Gates any day.  I just could not take some of the things he says seriuosly when I found out he had a white wife.  Then again, I had a professor in ug who was hard a core "black power" man, and I went to his office hours one day and realized he had a white wife....crazy.  But dude is still cool.

BTW has anyone ever read Michael Eric Dyson's book "Why I Love Black Women"?  It's an excellent read!!! I recommend.

I've heard Bro. West in person before and even bought his cd; I love Mike E.Dyson, that book was given to me as a gift from an ex-girlfriend and it's excellent.  As for Bro.Gates, I didn't pay much attention to him before this PBS series. But let me say something, I think there is a fallacy in assuming that because the man is married to a White woman he can't be genuine is his zeal for Black awareness.  Now that said, Bro.Gates does seem to be striving to align himself with his Blackness without letting go of a seemingly snobbish pride his family has in being so "White." 
Silva:

I'm not knocking "Bro Gates'" efforts to bring about black awareness, but there's something about his preaching of the Talented Tenth Theory, and my feeling that light skin and straight hair is still very important to him in being a part of the black elite.  I'm not saying you have to be a dark skin man sporting an afro to be considered "real" but there's something about him that is not genuine to me (can't put my finger on it).  It's like a white scholar teaching African-American studies.  You can respect their knowledge, but you can't expect them to be completely connected with their teachings because they haven't personally lived through it (as a black man/woman).

That's how I see Gates, he is a very smart man and knowledgable on African-American studies, but I don't really see him as being truly connected with it.  In a press conference, he even joked about his shock of finding out he was 50% white.  He said something to the effect of "does that mean I have to give back my affirmative action money?"

If this makes no sense, I'll clarify later.  I've been at work for 10 hrs. and my brain is slowing down.

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 05:52:23 PM »
wtf is "affirmative action money?"

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 06:03:29 PM »
I was able to take Cornel West's class the very last semester before I graduated.  That brother is the truth.  Easily the most engaging lecturer I ever had.