Law School Discussion

"African American Lives" with Skip Gates (+ racial ancestry + "black scholars")

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
Re: DO NOT MISS: African American Lives
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 02:12:05 PM »
ooohhh i saw the special. it was really interesting. i didn't even watch the grammys. did anyone else feel like skip gates had a little bit of happiness from finding out he was half-white? and Oprah was tight too, like "i'm all African" and she was...also, i think its really interesting that most people did not have really any native american blood. has all of that talk really been so fictitious (sp)? or is it more like people were classified as being native, when they were really black or vice versa. like the seminoles are supposed to be native--but most of them were actually run-away slaves--and were called natives by the govt. to keep from having to call them an actual african maroon population?

also, yeah i heard about betty friedan and saw a special segment about her on pbs. that was interesting too. so many historical figures have passed away recently, particularly women. its a sign that we need to pick up the torch. at least thats how i feel.  :-\

Faith - I said this in another thread, but when my roommate and I watched, she IMed her friend who was a AfAm studies major at Harvard. Why did he say, "I could take that nicca [Skip Gates] more seriously if he didn't have a white wife." LOL!

And I feel you. I've been feeling a little more motivated lately to save the world :)

faith2005

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »
if he just had a white wife, i could see that. i think every professor in af-am studies at harvard is with someone of another race. he is like a model of becoming white. seriously, i am a proud af-am studies major (not from harvard) and he is just off the chain. in one of his speeches he said something about "good hair." i remember being just too through.

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
ooohhh i saw the special. it was really interesting. i didn't even watch the grammys. did anyone else feel like skip gates had a little bit of happiness from finding out he was half-white? and Oprah was tight too, like "i'm all African" and she was...also, i think its really interesting that most people did not have really any native american blood. has all of that talk really been so fictitious (sp)? or is it more like people were classified as being native, when they were really black or vice versa. like the seminoles are supposed to be native--but most of them were actually run-away slaves--and were called natives by the govt. to keep from having to call them an actual african maroon population?

You think he was a little pleased inside?  You know, the thought crossed my mind, but it was a little hard to read his reaction and subsequent comments.  Of course he'd never admit anything like that, he said, "I had the Blues".  But I do wonder how he really feels.  I thought it was most interesting that the professor himself found that he was 11% West African.  I was very surprised to find that most people didn't really have significant Native American blood.  It makes sense though.  It has long been "fashionable" for people, black and white, to claim Native American heritage.  It was cool how Oprah just knew that she had no European ancestors and didn't even claim any Native American, even though she had 8-11%.  I definitely enjoyed Chris Tucker's parts and Quincy Jones is the man.

This show has gotten me really interested in tracing my own ancestry.  I'll have to start doing some digging.  Maybe I'll even get some money together and spring for that Admixture testing they did to see where your ancestors come from.  I have a feeling I'd get some surprises.

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 02:24:26 PM »
he is like a model of becoming white.

What do you mean by this?  I'm genuinely asking because I don't know a whole lot about him.

I didn't even know he had a white wife....

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 02:27:53 PM »
OMG, i loved this special. Yes, Skip Gates was a little too excited about the whole "my ancestors are from somewhere between London and Paris" thing.  His dad and aunt were kinda shady, too-- but whatever.  

Was anyone else surprised that Oprah thought she was Zulu?  That sounded so ignorant, since EVERYBODY knows slaves came from W. Africa.  That shocked me a little.  

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 02:28:38 PM »
yeah that is too much faith... I'll check it out this weekend as I recorded it....

if he just had a white wife, i could see that. i think every professor in af-am studies at harvard is with someone of another race. he is like a model of becoming white. seriously, i am a proud af-am studies major (not from harvard) and he is just off the chain. in one of his speeches he said something about "good hair." i remember being just too through.

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »
And let me say one more thing

Oprah is 52 and Mae Jemison is 49, and DAMN they look good!  Jemison actually has a youthful "cute" quality about her, such that you'd never guess she's one of the most accomplished women in America.

And I know Sarah Lawrence-Lightfoot has got some serious years on her, but she's definitely a beautiful woman.

Black women....

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »
And let me say one more thing

Oprah is 52 and Mae Jemison is 49, and DAMN they look good!  Jemison actually has a youthful "cute" quality about her, such that you'd never guess she's one of the most accomplished women in America.

And I know Sarah Lawrence-Lightfoot has got some serious years on her, but she's definitely a beautiful woman.

Black women....

black don't crack!  :D  And Mae Jamison is my hero. I wanted to be her when I was a little girl. It is one of my great hopes that I age gracefully ... nothing is sadder than women you can tell USED to be fine back in their day and don't quite know what to do with themselves...or are trying too hard to look young.

and yall are crackin me up re: Skip. I had no idea he was like that. Good hair? Hellz to the naw...

crazy8

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 02:47:29 PM »
Yea, some people call Cornell West a lil nutty, but I'll take him or Michael Eric Dyson over Gates any day.  I just could not take some of the things he says seriuosly when I found out he had a white wife.  Then again, I had a professor in ug who was hard a core "black power" man, and I went to his office hours one day and realized he had a white wife....crazy.  But dude is still cool.

BTW has anyone ever read Michael Eric Dyson's book "Why I Love Black Women"?  It's an excellent read!!! I recommend.

faith2005

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »
did anybody see the journey to africa special? there was some craziness on there as well. this special was 100 times better imo, but still he is out there enough that he has said some crazy stuff. when i saw him speak, he talked alot about his dad and them. the good hair stuff i think was about growing up color struck or around people who were. but he just makes too much light of it esp. in front of white audiences. sorta like, yeah rememba when we usedta talk about who had good hair? hahahahaaha as opposed to, wow, we really need to heal ourselves as black people. or something of that nature. i guess its like people who think its okay to call someone black as coal in front of white people. i'd say that kind of stuff is crazy, but its even more off the hook if you say it in a mixed audience. but i'll admit i'm a little serious compared to most, so...