Law School Discussion

"African American Lives" with Skip Gates (+ racial ancestry + "black scholars")

jnc18

• View Profile
Tonight at 9 on PBS is the second and final installment of "African American Lives" with Henry Louis Gates.  I urge you to check it out if you can.  I will be DVRing it myself.  I am under the impression that you don't have to see the first part in order to enjoy the second.

If you missed the first part, search listings for when it will be repeated.  It is a completely fascinating look into African American history through the ancestry of some very prominent black people (Oprah, Chris Tucker, Ben Carson, Quincy Jones, etc.).

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aalives/index.html

Victor

• View Profile
Re: DO NOT MISS: African American Lives
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 04:43:03 PM »
Tonight at 9 on PBS is the second and final installment of "African American Lives" with Henry Louis Gates.  I urge you to check it out if you can.  I will be DVRing it myself.  I am under the impression that you don't have to see the first part in order to enjoy the second.

If you missed the first part, search listings for when it will be repeated.  It is a completely fascinating look into African American history through the ancestry of some very prominent black people (Oprah, Chris Tucker, Ben Carson, Quincy Jones, etc.).

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aalives/index.html

African American Lives vs. The Grammies

Which one will we watch?

I watch PBS a lot though. I love shows like "New York Voices" and "In the Mix." A lot of good treats on that channel.

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »
African American Lives vs. The Grammies

Which one will we watch?

I watch PBS a lot though. I love shows like "New York Voices" and "In the Mix." A lot of good treats on that channel.

That is why God made TIVO (DVR).  For example, I am a Lost fanatic.

crazy8

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
They also repeat it often.  They've shown Part I at least 3 times since it aired.

Ed

• (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 08:07:10 AM »
I recommend that those who can afford it pre-order the African American Lives DVD.

The Slavery, and the Making of America DVD is also excellent!

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 08:10:15 AM »
I recommend that those who can afford it pre-order the African American Lives DVD.

I think this is your shortest post EVER.  :D

Ed

• (a.k.a. Max)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 08:22:55 AM »

:D Thanks for the laugh. You probably said what a dozen were thinking!

Yes, I know some of my posts get a little long. However, I do try to make them worth the time it takes to read them. And, while they occasionally break with standard BLSD brevity conventions, I am hopeful they are not completely absent of wit.

BTW: did you read of Betty Friedan's passing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4682228.stm

crazy8

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »

Yes, I know some of my posts get a little long. However, I do try to make them worth the time it takes to read them. And, while they occasionally break with standard BLSD brevity conventions, I am hopeful they are not completely absent of wit.

Yes, I thought folks knew about this.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 11:17:14 AM »

I did.  :'(  I think I'm the only feminist around these parts though, so I didn't bring it up.

faith2005

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 02:00:49 PM »
ooohhh i saw the special. it was really interesting. i didn't even watch the grammys. did anyone else feel like skip gates had a little bit of happiness from finding out he was half-white? and Oprah was tight too, like "i'm all African" and she was...also, i think its really interesting that most people did not have really any native american blood. has all of that talk really been so fictitious (sp)? or is it more like people were classified as being native, when they were really black or vice versa. like the seminoles are supposed to be native--but most of them were actually run-away slaves--and were called natives by the govt. to keep from having to call them an actual african maroon population?

also, yeah i heard about betty friedan and saw a special segment about her on pbs. that was interesting too. so many historical figures have passed away recently, particularly women. its a sign that we need to pick up the torch. at least thats how i feel.  :-\