Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Villanova Scholarship  (Read 953 times)

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
Villanova Scholarship
« on: February 08, 2006, 05:24:04 PM »
I recently got into Villanova and am interested in attending.  However, it seems as if Rutgers in-state will be cheaper (assuming I get in).  Furthermore, based on LSN, I am in the range to receive a decent scholarship from Seton Hall. According to this random thread http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php?topic=2069.0 , the OP stated they just called Villanova and requested to be considered for scholarship and one was awarded.

Furthermore, on their website it that "All students will be considered for the various scholarships", when do you think they will be deciding the scholarships? And do you think if I called the office like the above OP, they will bump my consideration for scholarship offers?

So I guess my question is should I call Villanova and inquire about being considered for a scholarship or should I wait it out, see what Seton Hall gives me, and then call up Nova and barter with them for more aid????

I think if I called now and they did give me some scholarship money I would still have leverage in bargaining later on down the road for even more money.

My numbers are not anything crazy but my GPA is well above the 75% range and they did admit me pretty quickly...

Sorry for the long post....any help/advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!!!

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
Re: Villanova Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 04:07:49 PM »
BUMP...Come on...someone has to atleast have some advice...

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »
BUMP...Come on...someone has to atleast have some advice...

Your post had all the advice you needed :)  Call Villanova and say you've been accepted to Rutgers Camden, which is a school they are regularly competing with for applicants, and say you'd like to go to Villanova more, but it costs a good deal more -- is there anything they can offer/do to make it easier for you to attend their school over Rutgers.

Now, it may not be 100% true that you want to go to Nova more, but who cares -- just tell them that to see if they'll play ball.  If they won't, well the good news is, RC is pretty much ranked the exact same thing and does exactly as well in Philly as Nova.  So you're in good shape no matter what.

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 04:30:52 PM »
Thanks for the follow up.

Will you be calling Nova and doing any bargaining yourself?

And should I wait until I get accepted to RU-C (if I do) or just go ahead and do this right now?

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 06:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the follow up.

Will you be calling Nova and doing any bargaining yourself?

And should I wait until I get accepted to RU-C (if I do) or just go ahead and do this right now?
'

I will probably call at some point, but I want to see about some other places first, find out if I need to.  I would probably just go to Rutgers, myself, if I got in there, and same for Temple, so I want to hear from them first.  That, and I want to have the FAFSA done before I start any calls.

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »
Ya.  The reason I am interested in Nova is just because it is in such a nice area.  I am sick of the big public school feeling in a bad city.  I want to work in NJ and Nova, both RU's, Temple, and Seton Hall all have pretty much the same reputation.  I want to go to the school that pretty much gives me the best deal out of them.  However, like I said, I kind of want to go to a nice school for a change over the next three years.

RU-C is in Camden, which is the murder capital of the US, What's your opinion of this?

Temple, from what I heard, is not in that good of an area, but I have not visited myself.  Whats your take on that?

kylemfdm

• AOL Instant Messenger - kylemfdm
    • View Profile
    • Psychaesthetic
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 08:19:39 PM »
Sup considering-the-pros-and-cons-of-Philly-schools buddy.

I can't say much about Rutgers as I've never been to the campus, but I live and work and will attend law school in Philly, so I can say some stuff about the others.  Add to that the fact that I'm stressing daily over which to pick (Temple vs. Nova for me - I didn't even try for Penn).

Temple is in north Philly, on the edges of ghetto country for sure, but you know, it's got the general college feel to it.  It's a big public school, that's undeniable, but I don't think that will infringe on your law school experience as much as you might think, since Beasley is its own sort of thing...  You'll just see a bunch of undergrads when you're outside - but you'll have that at almost any law school.  It's not like you're sharing a library or classrooms.  And it's also not as if you'll be at some dump - they pump a lot of money into that school (facilities and faculty alike), and their credentials speak for themselves.  The tuition is quite a bit less too, if that's a concern.

Villanova is in a more remote part of the city - technically, it's not even in the city.  It's much greener and has more of a small college-town feel to it.  From what I can tell (based on Temple vs. Nova grads I work with), they are only really different in terms of emphasis and student body.  Quality-wise, you're going to come out of either with a strong legal education and very decent contacts in the area for positions once you're barred.  Temple is well-known for their litigation and trial work emphasis.  Villanova will of course prepare you for such things as well, but from what I can tell, that school has a broader focus - they seem to offer more in terms of breadth (which may or may not mean less in terms of depth - ask a Nova 3L or something), meaning you can specialize in some things you may not be able to specialize in with Temple (competently, that is).  Also, Temple apparently has a mixed age group (night division adds to this as well) whereas Nova is mainly kids straight out of undergrad.  Quite a different classroom environment, from the looks of it, but I can't say for sure until I sit in. 

If you're looking for the most legal bang for your buck, and you're in-state (PA), Temple will cover that one.  Out of state, they are nearly equal in tuition, and then it becomes a matter of preference.  You're getting a job in the area no matter what, so just look at and talk to faculty in the areas you think you're leaning in to get a feel for how things work.  That'd be my advice there.

On a side note, I have a friend (well, he's a newly barred attorney working in my building, at a different firm than me) that went to Seton Hall, and he loved it, for what it's worth.

Also, Camden sucks.  Rutgers doesn't, but Camden does.

badbeat83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN-badbeat83
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 08:35:34 PM »
Thanks for that post...

I think its just going to come down to which school gives me the best deal (unless I get into one of my reaches).  I'm not going to stress over this until all of my acceptances are in and I am forced to make a decision.  A nice scholarship from Nova would still be nice...I am definately going to send them my scholarship letter from Seton Hall if I am lucky enough to get one (and I get in).

Good luck with everything, I'm sure I'll be talking to you on here or whatever......now its time to get wasted, cheers.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »
Ya.  The reason I am interested in Nova is just because it is in such a nice area.  I am sick of the big public school feeling in a bad city.  I want to work in NJ and Nova, both RU's, Temple, and Seton Hall all have pretty much the same reputation.  I want to go to the school that pretty much gives me the best deal out of them.  However, like I said, I kind of want to go to a nice school for a change over the next three years.

RU-C is in Camden, which is the murder capital of the US, What's your opinion of this?

Temple, from what I heard, is not in that good of an area, but I have not visited myself.  Whats your take on that?

I don't think the location is that big of a deal.  I know lots of Rutgers students and they don't have any problems.  You've got to watch out of course, and it's not Disney Land, but I don't think that the location of the school in Camden itself has been a really negative part of their experience.  A lot of the students live in Philly and take the PATCO train in, takes about 10 minutes total.  Philadelphia is therefore much more a part of the experience.