Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proctor forgot to announce "5 minutes left"  (Read 506 times)

Stacked-I

• View Profile
Proctor forgot to announce "5 minutes left"
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:06:47 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of a proctor forgetting to announce the "five minutes" remaining in a section or any other type of breach in the LSAC rule book? Any remedy assigned?

What effect, if any, would this have on your test if, instead of calling "5 minutes left," the proctor simply stated "Pencils down!" To add to the hypothetical, imagine it happened on Section #5 of the multiple; right at the pinnacle of stress!!!!

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Fidelio

Re: Proctor forgot to announce "5 minutes left"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 09:14:12 PM »
Some people say that when the proctor blurts inconveniently the 5 minute warning it does more harm than good by distracting the test taker. 

Stacked-I

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 09:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.......but some people also factor in the five minute warning as part of their studying. I.E., using time pieces which "ding" with 5 remaining to get used to the "distraction." The bottom line is that, if LSAC states it on their website that 5 minutes remaining will be announed as part of the "standardized" procedure, then proctors should adhere to it.

Nine48

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 10:26:20 PM »
If you have your own timer, it shouldn't be much of a problem.  Did you have someone calling out a 5 minute warning for your practice tests?

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 10:32:22 PM »
There were about 50 people in the big room where I took my test and I was surprise to see only about 3 or 4 had timers. The rest 46+ people did not have their own timer!

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 11:28:19 PM »
I saw like 2 other people with timers.  Everyone else had none.  Furthermore, of the people I talked to after the test, only a couple of them bothered to study before taking the LSAT.  Most of the people were just winging it apparently, just trying to make it into Cooley.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:16:04 PM »
I'm an LSAT tutor and I make sure that when I'm giving a practice test I don't warn my students of how much time is left (or only warn them when there's like a minute left) because it's such a common occurence that proctors don't do that.

SkullTatt

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
Yeah, it's lame that the proctor didn't call out "five minutes," and it would have bugged me personally a lot, but I don't think it's actionable.

magnumalv

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 05:24:11 PM »
I didn't receive a 5-min warning on my first test, but i did on my last one. I gotta say, I prefer no warning. Each time she said it, my heart would race and I'd lose focus for a second.

About 50% of the people in my room had timers.

SkullTatt

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »
Few people in my room had timers, however the girl I shared a table with did have a timer, and it actually DINGED when thirty-five minutes were up! She brought a non-silent timer to the LSAT!

It seems like you should be permanently banned from law school for that or something.