Law School Discussion

How should I file?

How should I file?
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »
I have to fill out my FAFSA in the next few days, and I need some help.

Should I file by myself or should I put myself down as a dependent of my parents?

I just graduated from undergrad in December, and am now working a full-time job, which I will hold until I matriculate to law school in the Fall. During my undergraduate days, I did not work. I took out loans, which covered the majority of my college tuition (although my first couple of years the parents pitched in a little money on that front), and then my parents gave me roughly 80 dollars per week to live on. Now though, as I said earlier, I am completely self-sufficient.

So how should I file? I plan on going to Tulane (tuition alone roughly 31k), and while my parents are not poor (combined income of roughly 60k per year), they certainly don't have anywhere near the money needed to pay for a place like Tulane.

So how should I file? Will filing with my parents screw me out of a lot of financial aid from the government? Is it even possible for me to file by myself considering I had probably $200 worth of income last year?

Thanks in advance for the replies.