Law School Discussion

Southwestern v. Santa Clara

Re: Southwestern v. Santa Clara
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 07:54:54 PM »
The attorney I work for went to Southwestern, did the part time evening program, and recommended I go there if I want to do the same (evening program, that is). She highly praised the law library and the campus (the Bullocks building is pretty nice) but didn't mention anything about competitiveness and/or an unpleasant atmosphere. She works in family law right now, small firm, probably makes 80-90K per year. I also spoke to a job recruiter (specializes in LA area legal jobs - anywhere from attorney to receptionist positions, mainly at large firnms) who told me that Southwestern has a very good reputation in LA, with a strong alumni network. (She ended up finding me a job at a big firm in Century City, which I'll be starting at in 2 weeks!) So... I tend to trust the opinions of both of these people, though I will probably schedule an official visit sometime and try to talk to some of the students... whose opinions I would trust above all else (especially over the "friend's brother's uncle's sister" hearsay ;P)

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 08:29:27 PM »
Oh I would definitely go visit for myself after being accepted.  I went to LA in Oct but focused mainly on looking at my dream schools of UCLA, USC and Loyola.

chidochido

• Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »
I have a bunch of friends at/from SCU law and they like/d it...all the grads have jobs in the bay area (none in IP though) and one of my best buds has a job offer and he doesn't even have good grades (he is super charismatic and apparently an awesome moot court guy, though...)...I don't know much about southwestern but I haven't heard anybody rave about it ever...

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »
What about San Francisco?  Where does it fit into the debate? (I know it was T2 last year, but it dropped back down to T3 this time around...)  I think a harder Q to answer would be San Fran vs. Santa Clara...

chidochido

• Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 08:41:02 PM »
I think a harder Q to answer would be San Fran vs. Santa Clara...

Damn that's a tough decision...not sure how many people are in that boat, and I wouldn't want to hijack this thread, but damn...

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 09:06:10 PM »
Oh I would definitely go visit for myself after being accepted.  I went to LA in Oct but focused mainly on looking at my dream schools of UCLA, USC and Loyola.

I've already visited, but unfortunately they kicked us (my boyfriend and best friend and I) off the campus. :P I think they were hosting the SATs or something at the time...

I would prefer to go to Loyola, even though I think the campus is really ugly, but since I haven't heard anything yet, I'm assuming my outlook is bleak. So Southwestern is my back-up...

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 09:09:42 PM »
and ivan...how'd you get your 'tar to dance??  mine's supposed to dance too but i cant figure out how to get her to do it  ???

I just uploaded it in the same manner as a regular pic and it worked.  Your avatar seems more serious - it may just exceed the max alloted space.

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:44 PM »
...Or you can try playing some hot new jams!  ;)

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 09:25:48 PM »

I've already visited, but unfortunately they kicked us (my boyfriend and best friend and I) off the campus. :P I think they were hosting the SATs or something at the time...

I would prefer to go to Loyola, even though I think the campus is really ugly, but since I haven't heard anything yet, I'm assuming my outlook is bleak. So Southwestern is my back-up...

I don't think you should assume anything about Loyola yet.  I'm still just complete according to the status checker.  Until it says decision has been mailed, no news is good news.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 09:46:04 PM »

I don't think you should assume anything about Loyola yet.  I'm still just complete according to the status checker.  Until it says decision has been mailed, no news is good news.

That's probably a good attitude... but I like to prepare for the worst - then I'm not disappointed either way. :) I just hope Loyola notifies me before I put down my seat deposit at Southwestern!