Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much does UG matter?  (Read 1407 times)

How much does UG matter?
« on: December 18, 2003, 12:56:51 AM »
 I am currently a sophomore political science major at West Virginia University. I had a 3.5 Gpa while taking advanced mathematics and engineering classes (previously a mechanical engineering major) and am expecting a 4.0 this semester, but i wonder - does it matter?

Even if i test in the high 160s on the LSATS will schools like Columbia, Berkeley, and UVA even think about accepting me with such a low calibur undergrad? how much better do i have to do at WVU to really make myself stand out?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re:How much does UG matter?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 03:02:33 PM »
I don't think the prestige of your undergraduate university matters much at all.  I'm sure the law schools give a little more weight to prestigious schools, but generally I think you actually get a better deal going to a less prestigious school because there's less competition (easier to get good grades).

I've noticed a very broad range of undergraduate institutions represented at my school (BU).  I'm pretty sure the schools aim for at least a little bit of UG diversity (evidenced by all those statements about how many different schools people come from).

Law schools should know that many people (most people?) don't choose a college for prestige.  In my opinion, UG prestige is a reflection of high school motivation - generally not that important to success in law school.

Re:How much does UG matter?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 12:59:10 AM »
wow, thats a relief. thanks for the reply.