Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Freaking out (Parents' info)  (Read 669 times)

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
Freaking out (Parents' info)
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:33:49 AM »
I am starting to really stress out over financial aid. I am trying to get everything done before March 1 so I can get a good financial aid package. For some schools I have to fill out the Need Access which requires parental information, as do some scholarships I am applying for. Alas, my dad does not want to provide his information. I've tried to tell him if he does not, I will be ineligible for aid and scholarships. What does one do if a parent refuses to provide the requested information?
Attending: NYU ($$$)!
In: Miami ($$$$), Georgetown, George Mason, American, W&M ($$), Rugers-N ($$), Temple ($$$), WNEC ($$$$), Columbia

Guerito

• View Profile
Re: Freaking out (Parents' info)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:24:14 PM »
Can you make a close estimate?  I've just started going through all of the forms myself and only briefly looked at Need Access, so don't take my worf for anything on this...

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »
I just filled out my Need Access forms with my parents last night.  It would be just about impossible for you to estimate all the crud they want you to put down (i.e. medical expenses, interest earned, tax deductions taken, etc.).

If your Dad doesn't want YOU to know about their financial situation, he can fill out the application by himself with his own password and indicate on the form (there is a box) that he doesn't want anyone talking to you about his money situation.

If your Dad doesn't want THEM to know about his financial situation, I dunno about that, but I would call each school and ask them individually how you should deal with it.

Do you have a mom that would be willing to sneak you a copy of the taxes?

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:18:51 PM »
the school i have to fill it out for uses a SEVEN year test...so though i am 26 and have been living on my own for 6 years...i still have to get their info  :-\ and they aren't doing their taxes until "sometime" in march  :-\
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:04:35 PM »
I have talked to several offices that want parental information and I am okay. I am going to attach a letter explaining my circumstances. 
Attending: NYU ($$$)!
In: Miami ($$$$), Georgetown, George Mason, American, W&M ($$), Rugers-N ($$), Temple ($$$), WNEC ($$$$), Columbia