Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Appealing a rejection  (Read 789 times)

Benashja

• AOL Instant Messenger - JustJoshing11
    • View Profile
Appealing a rejection
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:43:06 AM »
My friend at the law school that I have been rejected from (which was my first choice) told me that he knows a woman on the admissions committee and she said that they accept appeals and sometimes they work -- does anybody have any information about situations like this?  He said his friend got into UCLA that way... I'm only thinking about doing this because it was my first choice by FAR and I'm really not that interested in going to anywhere else that I've applied to
Touchdown (accepted): Rutgers-Newark, Saint Louis, Michigan State, Albany, Gonzaga ($5500), Tulsa ($10000), Florida Coastal ($12000)
3 and Out (waitlisted): Penn State, Case Western
Fumble (rejected): Denver, Miami, IUPUI

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: Appealing a rejection
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:54:06 AM »
You can, but most of the time appeals only happen when you have compelling new information.  If your GPA went up a bunch this semester, then you might have a shot.  If you retook the LSAT, it might work.  Some compelling new life experience is unlikely to help but could, although I would say that would help waitlisters more.  At the very least, you'll need to get another letter of rec or write an addendum.  If there's a flaw in your application that you can explain, send that and ask for an appeal.  I would get in contact with either your friend, or the woman directly and ask what is needed to ask for an appeal and in what situations it is allowed.

Benashja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:58:49 AM »
My cumulative GPA is a 3.0 and my fall semester was a 3.4 - would that count as significant improvement?  I'm not sure, but I have an addendum all written up to send.  I'm also telling them a little more about why I would be good there, why they should want me, and new info as to an honors fraternity i just got into that wasn't on my application
Touchdown (accepted): Rutgers-Newark, Saint Louis, Michigan State, Albany, Gonzaga ($5500), Tulsa ($10000), Florida Coastal ($12000)

redemption

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:03:04 AM »
Try it. They can't reject you anymore than they already have. Besides, you'll feel better if you've tried.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:32 AM »
If it is the only school you really want to go to, then think about taking a year off and applying for 07.  Especially if you are still in school, you have a chance to do really well spring semester and get your GPA up more, retake the LSAT in june if you think you could do better, and get some cool work/volunteer experience in on your year off (like, Americorps or something like that would probably be looked upon really favorably, as would working in a law firm, teaching english in guatemala, whatever...)

That might give you a better result than trying to appeal a decision, and if it is the school you have your heart set on, a year will not be that bad of a wait.

Best of luck!

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »
Try it. They can't reject you anymore than they already have. Besides, you'll feel better if you've tried.
I concur totally

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 09:34:16 AM »
I do have to say that my boss got into Duke by sending them a letter telling them they made a mistake.  That was 12 years ago though.  He also had an LSAT that was within their medians.  If your numbers are close, you might want to give it a try. 

Don't get your hopes up though.  Start working on plan B now.

Benashja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 10:01:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice - I have absolutely no intention of taking a year off... I've gotten into plenty of places so far and still waiting to hear from some more.  When I said that it was my first choice by far it didn't mean that i absolutely HAD to go there or else I would be unhappy, I meant that from a scale of 1-10 it was a 10, and the others are between 3-7.  So if I end up at a 7 I'd still be pretty happy with it.  Plus, I could always just go this year to wherever is cheapest and bust my ass and transfer.

gcs451

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 10:46:19 AM »
My friend at the law school that I have been rejected from (which was my first choice) told me that he knows a woman on the admissions committee and she said that they accept appeals and sometimes they work -- does anybody have any information about situations like this?  He said his friend got into UCLA that way... I'm only thinking about doing this because it was my first choice by FAR and I'm really not that interested in going to anywhere else that I've applied to

Hey fellow DU reject.  I would not hold out to much hope since I am currently trying that route with no luck.  I was rejected with a 162, 3.0gpa, from a top private liberal arts college and 3 years solid work experience.  I emailed the head of admissions after my rejection stating that DU was my top choice, my fiancee is going to grad school in Denver and is from Denver.  I stated that I felt with my numbers and background I would be a strong candidate for admission and was suprised that I was rejected so quickly. Asked to maybe reconsidered and put on the waitlist. That was about 2 weeks ago I have yet to hear a response. 
University of Iowa Class of 2009

Benashja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 10:49:12 AM »
My sympathy goes out to you - your numbers coupled with your experience and circumstances should have definitely gotten you in.  You have every right to be irritated.  But the way I see it, it'll cost me 37 cents for a stamp and maybe another couple cents for paper/ink.  The worst that can happen is I get rejected again, which I'm expecting... sooo I guess that's what I'll be doing.  Good luck though -- if they let me in and not you it'd not be very fair at all