Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Filipinos as Hispanic?  (Read 1839 times)

ucikid420

• View Profile
Filipinos as Hispanic?
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »
I am half flip and recently part of this is 1/8 Spanish and was wondering if this was enough to check the other Hispanic box?? In some social circles being flip and of spanish origin is also considered Hispanic as in the likes of South Americans and such...plus i look hispanic if that helps...

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Filipinos as Hispanic?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 11:43:18 AM »
Spaniards are not a minority.  I think hispanics are from Latin America and the Carribean Islands.  If I am correct, from there it breaks down to Latinos who are from Latin America (and maybe Puerto Rico too???)  I think the essential blood line for Hispanic would be Native American or Native Islander blood.  If you don't have that, I would figure you're just white.  Filipinos would be classified as asian.  But I'm not an authority on any of this...it's just what I think I've heard.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:46:35 AM »
Neither Filipinos nor Spaniards are hispanic.  Hispanic means descent from Latin America/The Caribbean.  The most prominent hispanic groups are Mexicans/Chicanos and Puerto Ricans.  Many law schools differentiate between hispanic groups and will have three boxes: Mexican/Chicano, Hispanic, and Puerto Rican.
Yale.Law.School.2010

ucikid420

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 11:48:50 AM »
here is the definition for hispanic

Hispanic, as used in the United States, is one of several terms used to categorize persons whose ancestry hails either from Spain, the Spanish-speaking countries of Latin America, or the original settlers of the traditionally Spanish-held Southwestern United States. The term is used as a broad form of classification in the U.S. census, local and federal employment, and numerous business market researches.

In Spain and Spanish-speaking Latin America, Hispano ("Hispanic") is ascribed as indicating a derivation from Spain, her people and culture. It follows the same style of use as Anglo indicates a derivation of England and the English. Thus, the Spanish-American War in Spanish is known as "Guerra Hispano-Estadounidense", the "Spanish-German Treaty" as "Tratado Hispano-Alemán", "Spanish America" as Hispanoamérica, etc.

this is taken from wikipedia

ucikid420

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 11:49:35 AM »
therefore i guess i do qualify  :)

SkullTatt

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 11:50:09 AM »
In some social circles being flip and of spanish origin is also considered Hispanic as in the likes of South Americans and such...

Nice try.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 11:56:08 AM »
Believe me, you don't quality.  You would most likely be considered Asian/Pacific Islander, or a mix.  Wikipedia is incorrect in identifying Spain as a member of the "hispanic" community.  Also, being 1/8th spanish is cutting it close.  If you were hispanic, you would know you're hispanic (because you would self-identify as such), and would not ask a bunch of strangers on a pre-law message board if you were hispanic.  You said it yourself, you are filipino.  That's how you self-identify.
Yale.Law.School.2010

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:01:54 PM »
It is kind of iffy to put yourself as hispanic. However, I can see where you are comming from. The majority of my friends are Filipinos and we share the same values, traditions, and so forth (I am Mexican-American). However, I am not sure if this is because we are Catholics or because of the Spanish influence. It seems that you should call up the school and ask them. Furthermore, if you click asian then you will want to talk about your Filipino ancestry.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 12:30:04 PM »
I am half flip and recently part of this is 1/8 Spanish and was wondering if this was enough to check the other Hispanic box?? In some social circles being flip and of spanish origin is also considered Hispanic as in the likes of South Americans and such...plus i look hispanic if that helps...

I didn't even have to read this thread to know what you were going to ask. Hispanic does not mean spanard. Spanard is considered European/Caucasian/white. Hispanic is anyone from Latin America/Mexico/South America.

The best box for you to check would be pacific islander.

Are you from UCI? If so, it's nice to see fellow anteater on the boards. :)

cayberr

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »

If you are half flip and 1/8 of that is Spanish, then aren't you 1/16 Spanish?  Splitting hairs.

Either way, you are not hispanic.  Even if you could somehow check the 'hispanic' box you do not self-identify as being hispanic.  You only recently learned of that 1/8 (or 1/16) and thought you could use it to your advantage.  I have several filipino friends and they identify themselves as asian/pacific islander, even the ones with the more traditionally hispanic last names like Ruiz.

What is your other half?