Law School Discussion

« on: February 06, 2006, 08:49:22 AM »

Re: personal statement / LOR advice...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 08:51:33 AM »
Not an online resource, but I have to say the Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions by Anna Ivey is invaluable.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 09:00:34 AM »
accepted.com has some personal statements. As for LOR, the form itself from LSAC gives a general idea of what they should write. I'd assume that what works for a British recommendation letter also works for a US school. That said, my guidance counsellors have mentioned that many US schools care much more about ethnicity, diversity of background, travel experience and work experience more than law schools in other countries.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 09:54:13 AM »
I would say it would be to your advantage - make you seem more interesting, you can bring something new to discussions, etc.

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:09:09 AM »
Some of the schools I applied to had forms that they use if people want to send LORs directly to the school instead of using LSAC.  The forms often have school-specific guidelines for what should go in an LOR.  For example, Yale's form says:

Please assess this applicant’s qualifications for graduate study, including her intellectual strengths and weaknesses, motivation, and capacity for original and
independent work. In addition, please compare the applicant to other students you have known, or to any of our present students or recent graduates whom
you have recommended to us. If you feel that you do not know the applicant well enough to make such an evaluation,we would appreciate your declining
the applicant’s request.

It may be worth pulling some of that information together for your recommenders.