Law School Discussion

Boalt Fin. Aid App

Luxor

• View Profile
Boalt Fin. Aid App
« on: January 29, 2006, 08:04:19 PM »
After looking over page 6 of Berkeley's LSDAS electronic app, I decided that it looked like only dual degree applicants need fill it out.  Turns out I was wrong, so I'll have to send this page to Berkeley's Admissions Office ASAP.   

A couple of questions:
1) Does anyone know what the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship is?  I can't find any mention of it on Boalt's web site.  I need to figure out whether I want to be considered for it.
2) The top of the page says "Complete and sign this page if you are applying for a Boalt Hall fellowship, the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program or a Boalt Hall fee grant."  Can someone please clarify what all of those are?  The fin. aid page is annoyingly ambiguous.

Thanks in advance

Luxor

• View Profile
Re: Boalt Fin. Aid App
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »
bump--any input would be much appreciated

Luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 08:39:13 PM »
one last bump

jeb240

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:49:20 PM »
You know, it didn't even seem like the kind of thing that needed questioning to me... it seemed like, "Do you want us to consider you for a way in which we can give you money to attend?" and that answer seems like a whopping, almost unqualified "Yes!" to me.

Just fill it out, sign it and send it off.

Luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 08:56:35 PM »
You know, it didn't even seem like the kind of thing that needed questioning to me... it seemed like, "Do you want us to consider you for a way in which we can give you money to attend?" and that answer seems like a whopping, almost unqualified "Yes!" to me.

Just fill it out, sign it and send it off.

180  :)

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:39:44 PM »
I have another question:

I did not check the financial aid box on the top right-hand of the first page.  I DEFINITELY need financial aid, but I didn't see the box when applying.  Since my app is currently "under review" (aka complete) and my odds of getting in are extremely low, should I just wait until I get a decision back before I tell them?

I ask because I am affraid that telling them now will: a) slow the review process b) make me look as if I don't pay attention to detail.

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 10:15:06 PM »
Actually the fact that you realized this indicates that you do pay attention.  But because you didn't take care of it the first time, what it all really says is that you don't pay *enough* attention to detail.

In any case, I don't think anyone is going to care one way or the other if you correct this thing which has no bearing on your acceptance or aptitude for the study of law.

So I'd let them know.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 10:18:15 PM »
I saw it as Berkeley's one page form of the Need Access thing since you have to put in your parents' income. I didn't even fill out the bottom part, since I knew that once they saw my parents' info I'd be outta luck.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 10:29:19 PM »
hmm on second though the graduate opportunity fellowship could be this: Boalt Hall Fellowships
Boalt Hall Fellowships are fund by UC Berkeley's Graduate Division and awarded on the basis of merit to cover fees. Boalt Hall Fellowships are awarded to first-year students and are renewable.  Though I dunno why they'd consider how many siblings you have if it's just merit-based. Guess I'll send a new one in just to be safe.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 10:27:39 AM »
alright here's the final word:

"For financial aid purposes, you need only list your income and assets
(and spouse information, if married) not parental information.
However, on the Boalt Financial Aid Application (page 6 of the
Admissions Application), we do ask students to self-report any
expected parental (or other) financial assistance for the upcoming year."