Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will I get in?  (Read 4260 times)

Ithacabomber

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
Will I get in?
« on: December 17, 2003, 02:45:24 PM »
My UGPA is 3.35
My LSAT is 141
Applied: U of Buff. U of Balt. Stetson, St. Louis Campbell South Texas C of L and Syr U
What do you think are my chances
By the way i have great recs and have interned for the House of Commons and several Legal Aid Agencies.
Thanks

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
Re: Will I get in?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 03:56:49 PM »
I think you'll get into South Texas College of Law, (that's the only school on you list I know much about) because STCL accepts almost everyone with your stats.  However, I do not know why you would want to attend that law school.  University of Houston is cheaper and considered to be better than South Texas.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 05:23:26 PM »
I think the responder is confusing South Texas with Texas Southern. The former is a decent law school, the latter is of poor quality. South let in 3 of 58 with your stat range. Texas Southern let in 23 of 34 with your range. All of the law schools you mention have a much higher LSAT average than yours. Most of their 25 percentiles start at 150 or so. If you really want to go to one of these schools it might be necessary to retake the LSAT, or it would help a lot if you were a URM. I am not saying your LSAT score is a very good predictor of your law school performance or your intelligence, but as it is your going to need awfully strong non-quantitative factors to get you in. Of course, I just realized the original post was in December so you have probably already received your responses from the law schools. Oh, well.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 05:39:48 PM »
No, I am NOT confusing STCL with TSU.  I am in the Houston area, and I know from speaking to many local attorneys that STCL is not as good as UH, although both schools are better than TSU.  I do not understand why someone would be so foolish as to pay for STCL when, if accepted, that person could easily save thousands and graduate from a superior law school -- University of Houston.

I hope you, Ithacabomber, get into the school of you choice.

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 02:39:36 PM »
To prelaw_undergrad:

I live in the Dallas area and have visited STCL and UH dozens of times.  I honestly feel that STCL is the more quality law school.  By quality, I mean knowledgable and approachable faculty and staff, great resources and well-rounded students- not just high LSAT scorers.  However, STCL is twice as much as UH, and I don't know if it's twice the school.  But, to me, UH is not "superior" to STCL.  I do agree that both are of higher quality than TSU.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 03:46:26 PM »
dnw2007, you can "feel" whatever you want.  I was just explaining that most STCL grads do not have a job waiting upon graduation, and most STCL grads make less than the average UH grad.  Those figures are not altered, let's say, because STCL has more students who choose to work in the public/government sector, but, those numbers are so low because STCL grads do not get the high paying private corporation job offers that are, instead, given to UH students. 

As far as law school "quality" goes, when concerning the need for a “knowledgeable and approachable faculty and staff,” whenever I have a question for a UH law professor, he/she replies (via email) within 24hrs.  I have contacted many of the UH law profs (via phone and email) and have never had to wait a whole day for them to respond to a call.  So, obviously, the UH faculty is very "approachable."

Clearly you haven never actually looked around the UH campus.  If you had, you would notice that UH has one of the most diverse law schools in the nation.  I am not just considering race, as ages and religious beliefs of students are very diverse and the campus has more well-rounded students than STCL.  At STCL, most people are young (under the age of 30) and many students have parents who are bearing the full cost of law school, whereas most UH students must hold down jobs, take out loans, etc, to support a family or, just, themselves while attending law school.

As far as STCL having "great resources" adding to STCL's "quality," I disagree, again.  UH law center is the number one in the nation for Health Law.  STCL cannot even claim to be in the top ten in the nation for any legal specialty.

Furthermore, I must add, that if you consider an average LSAT score of 160 (which is UH Law student’s average) to be high, you are in for the shock of your life:  an LSAT score below 150 is, generally, considered unacceptable for most law schools.   An LSAT score above 165 is, typically, considered “high,”  and some law schools find any LSAT score below 170 to be ‘average’ or ‘low.’

I would find your opinion for this topic to be more credible had you, dnw2007, actually done more research.  I am not completely biased, as I have many friends who have attended STCL, I just find that STCL does not compare to UH Law Center.  I understand that you are disadvantaged, seeing that you do not live in Houston and probably do not know many lawyers, so I am not trying to fight with you.  I am just trying to broaden your views so you do not put too much hold in the idea that a private school has better overall quality than a public school.

barry_schmotz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 10:46:59 PM »
Wow...a prick who is applying to law school.  Who would've thought?

Prelaw_undergrad - some free advice:  grow up and get your undergrad degree before mouthing off to the world.  After you get your undergrad degree, work on your grad degree.  Then do some post-doc work.  Hopefully after all those years, you will have matured and realized that your know-it-all attitude is nothing more than a comical representation of your inability to deal with people who do not agree with you.

Otherwise, good luck on your law aspirations.  Afterall, everyone knows that this world needs yet another prick-lawyer. 

gpv00

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 11:30:17 PM »
South Texas is not a bad choice. U of H is considered to be a better school. Plus it is cheaper. But neither carry much weight outside of the greater Houston area. STCL does have a strong stance in the H-town legal market. Mainly because a lot of judges hail from there. U of H is going to be harder to get into. STCL is ranked near the top for its trial advocacy. STCL has a broad range of people from different age groups. I think their median is somewhere around 30 years old. Also, there are plenty of people that attend STCL part time so not all of them are young kids with parents footing the bill. These 2 schools do have to combat with UT, Baylor, SMU,etc. Later.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 01:09:26 AM »
UH does have a better employment % than ST-90 vs 78. The bar passagre is also better-91 vs 79. It is likely, though, that both law schools have a limited sphere of influence, given the number of other better law schools in TX. There is also a large difference in the student selectivity of the two schools. UH's stats makes you wonder why it is not closer to a first tier school. If it was me I would go to UH.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 02:30:56 PM »
Yes, I agree: UH does have a "limited sphere of influence."  I don't pay much attention to ratings -- what tier is UH supposedly in?