Law School Discussion

congratulations to the steelers

Re: congratulations to the steelers
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 08:50:09 PM »
yeah people are out of control with this "seahawks were robbed nonsense"  for the record, i have no dog in this fight, i'm a giants fan.  sure the offensive pass interference penalty was touchy but i've seen it called before and rothlisberger did score on that play, i dont really see what the big deal is.  pittsburgh overcame bad calls against indianapolis, why couldn't seattle?  the refs didnt let willie parker run for a 75 yard td or force the seattle secondary to bite on that trick play. 

Paikea

• One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 09:43:53 PM »
It's funny because if the officials had not blown those calls, Seattle would have been leading 21-14 in the fourth.  Would they have hung on to win?  Who knows.  But if the Steelers would have been able to come back and win, it would have spoke much louder about their championship.

As it stands now, their victory kind of has the aura of when Apollo Creed defeated Rocky.  Yes the Steelers won, but for many Seahawk and Steeler fans, they didn't really win.

And that is the real tragedy.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 10:14:12 PM »
yeah people are out of control with this "seahawks were robbed nonsense"  for the record, i have no dog in this fight, i'm a giants fan.  sure the offensive pass interference penalty was touchy but i've seen it called before and rothlisberger did score on that play, i dont really see what the big deal is.  pittsburgh overcame bad calls against indianapolis, why couldn't seattle?  the refs didnt let willie parker run for a 75 yard td or force the seattle secondary to bite on that trick play. 

Nor did they cause Seattle to @#!* up TWO easy TD passes and mismanage the clock at the end of both halves.

TWO TD passes, folks.  TWO.

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 10:15:09 PM »
It's funny because if the officials had not blown those calls, Seattle would have been leading 21-14 in the fourth.  Would they have hung on to win?  Who knows.  But if the Steelers would have been able to come back and win, it would have spoke much louder about their championship.

As it stands now, their victory kind of has the aura of when Apollo Creed defeated Rocky.  Yes the Steelers won, but for many Seahawk and Steeler fans, they didn't really win.

They didn't blow those calls.  Do your research.

Paikea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 10:28:33 PM »

Sorry, but the call on Jackson was blown, as was Locklear.  Judgment calls yes, but bad ones at that.

I'm sure you will be stuck on your ways though.  That's fine.  But regardless of whether Seattle would have or should have won, the truth of the matter is that the Steelers victory has a big question mark stamped on it because these calls.  And that is truly sad.  If I were a Steelers fan, I would be ticked off.

Mr Shears

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 10:31:11 PM »
I wouldn't.  They won.  It doesn't matter if anyone thinks they didn't deserve to win--they did.  I don't think they care if the refs made bad calls or not, and if I were a steeler's fan, neither would I.

check01

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 10:38:39 PM »

This has all already been addressed in other threads.  Hasselbeck's fumble WAS a fumble (go read the rule books - he was lucky to get it back). 

Hey, nobody's saying that the Seahawks didn't blow some chances, but two of the blown touchdowns were the pass interference and the "hold" that called back first and goal from the 1. The clock mismanagement was bad, no doubt, but the refs took points off the board.

As for the fumble, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. He was touched by a defender, his elbow and knee had hit the ground, ergo fumble.

Only a hardcore Steelers fan who was blind drunk by the fourth quarter could possibly say that all the calls except one were fair, and that it was balanced by the "fumble."

Paikea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 10:41:12 PM »
I wouldn't.  They won.  It doesn't matter if anyone thinks they didn't deserve to win--they did.  I don't think they care if the refs made bad calls or not, and if I were a steeler's fan, neither would I.

I'm sure there are many Steeler fans who are just glad they won.  That is fine.  Most of my friends were Steeler fans and while they are happy their team won, they also feel slighted that because of the bad officiating, their "victory" has been put in question.  As my friend told me "A Steelers team trailing 21-14 is a much different team than one leading 21-10."  I am not quite sure what he means by this...he is much more of a football expert and Steeler expert than I am. 

My only point is that the horrid officiated took away from the Steelers win.  And that is sad. 

Mr Shears

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 10:51:19 PM »
The only difference I see is one is losing and one is winning, respectively.

I dunno, I'm a hockey fan.  ;)

FossilJ

• View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 01:03:56 AM »

Sorry, but the call on Jackson was blown, as was Locklear.  Judgment calls yes, but bad ones at that.

I'm sure you will be stuck on your ways though.  That's fine.  But regardless of whether Seattle would have or should have won, the truth of the matter is that the Steelers victory has a big question mark stamped on it because these calls.  And that is truly sad.  If I were a Steelers fan, I would be ticked off.

Lame retort.  As I've said in other thread, offensive pass interference (ESPECIALLY in the endzone) merely requires contact in the case of a pushoff.  Any push is enough to give you the half second to get open for that catch, even if it's just a soft one.  There is only ONE call in that situation, and the referee made it. 

And don't buy the crappy, overrated Fox commentary team's version of the Locklear call.  The fact that his man was by him but that he still had his arm around his shoulder clearly indicates a hold.  Even if it's a 50/50 call, I would've made it on the field. 

Also, by definition, if a call is a judgement call, then you can't say it's a bad call.  If you acknowledge it's a judgement call, then the call the referee makes is fair as it is. 

For the record, I'm not a Steelers fan.  I'm just a reasonable fan of the game.