Law School Discussion

Re: Something NEW! Hot White/Other? Men for the Sistas
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2006, 12:57:03 PM »
Crazy..

I hear what you're saying :)...as I said before.. I'm not knocking anyone that chooses to date interracially.. it just isn't a personal preference you know?

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 01:02:37 PM »
I disagree with HB's impressions of what this post was all about. I don't think anyone was trying to say that Black men aren't viable options as far as life partners but I think what is clear from others comments is that we don't want to be held to one standard of person that we can give our hearts to.  Especially when a good number of Black men have no problem dating women of other races.  All I'm saying is fair is fair, if you can do it why can't I?

MsJay9

• I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2006, 01:04:52 PM »
Wouldn't Bi-racial children in a way still be considered Black children.  I was having this coversation a little while ago about when did the term bi-racial really take real form.  My grandmother use to say that Black was Black even when it was mixed with white.  I guess that makes some sense b/c Black is dominant most of the time no matter what else it is combined with. I guess the way I see it is that IF everyone keeps mixing with Black people then eventually everyone will be Black. 

I'm more curious to see how the posters on the board who are biracial feel about interracial dating. I would think biracial kids will find it more acceptable considering that they wouldn't be here unless their parents of different races didn't get together.

crazy8

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »
Crazy..

I hear what you're saying :)...as I said before.. I'm not knocking anyone that chooses to date interracially.. it just isn't a personal preference you know?

Blk:

I feel you..and when you find that man (if you haven't already) lemme know if he has a brother. ;) ;D

Edit:  Now that I'm more comfortable on this brd.  I think I'm going to have to change my name....not feeling the title crazy.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
Oh I agree that there's a responsibility to culture, but the responsibility should be reciprocal--meaning that, Black men are going to have to be a lot more loyal to us before I'm willing to sell myself short trying to be loyal to them.

It's a balancing act: When weighing responsibility to race versus responsibility to self-fulfillment and/or responsibility to children, I come out on the self-fulfillment side. My choice is made easier by Black men's apparent lack of responsibility to culture.

OK. But isn't that taking a reactive stance on cultural duty as opposed to a proactive stance?  I would argue that the duty exists whether people on the other side of the fence are upholding their end of the bargain or not.  What do you think about that?

Sands:

When I picture my future SO an image of a dark skin (or light skin) brotha comes to mind. I do intend on finding a strong black man one day (may sound contradictory to what I said previously) but if it doesn't happen that way, I'm going to be more open to it. 

I do believe there is a duty to culture, but if I have a white guy who is willing to give me the things I need to be happy, I don't think I'll turn him down just so I can keep myself available for when the right black man comes along.

I would love to raise that strong black family with two powerful black parents, raising some well-to-do confident kids, but if it doesn't turn out that way, I'm okay with that.

Appreciate the shout out for the light skinned brothers.  LOL ;D  But yes, I can't argue with what either of you are saying as far as being happy.  In the end, I think it all comes down to being happy in life, because if you're not happy then what are you doing?  But that still doesn't help me resovle this conflict that arrises when that motivation for happiness does not coincide with the duty to culture or coincide with the happiness derived from who you are and where you've come from that nobody else but somebody from a similar background will be able to share with you.

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »
8 I'm single...but I have dated some good black men in the past...a couple of fakers as well..but they've definitely been dismissed and the door is shut... I think we all have had a relationship or two where we're glad that the chapter of our lives is closed..however we realize that it needed to happen in order for the life lesson to come from it..

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »
Hmmmm....as a "good black man" lurking I often wonder is meant by that term.  I am not hear to say that I am all that or that any white dude can hold a candle to me, BUT....

Regal and the rest of the women on here, what do YOU think is this proverbial "good black man".  I am a good brother, no priors, no deviant history, no diseases, educated, articulate (at times, dont hold any of my fun posts against me), single, but I have been passed over for someone who wasn't exactly a "good black man" several times in my opinion.  What do ya'll want?  I thought my total package was nice, but I firmly believe in nice guys finish last.  Or maybe in this case, the "good black man" might place below the white dude.  Thoughts?? Concerns?? Questions??

And I do not want one person's post to represent all the Black males on here (probably a reason most of us are lurking).  All these generalizations are just out of control.  Are some of us jaded?  Have some of us been hurt by Black women or Black males?  Hey, these are all rhetorical so I do not want some firey post coming at me.  I just see there is some pain hidden these posts by some of you guys.

Bottom line, if you want to date Brent or Bobby, have at it.  If you want to be with Malik or Tyrone, do that as well.  Its about your happiness and no one elses.

petitschoque

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006, 01:28:06 PM »
Besides, white men are not attracted to black women like that anyway. They don't want to put a ring on your finger. You guys are lifting them up and washing their b*lls but at the end of the day, they don't want to make you their wife. Seriously, why would a "hot" white man marry a black woman when he could have a hot white girl, or asian, or indian, etc.?
Wow is this a white supremacist speaking? Because these statements would fit well in a speech by a KKK member.

I don't think you're speaking for white men here. You're speaking for brainwashed black men like yourself who can't conceive it in their brains that a black woman is as good as women of other races.

Hmm...indeed "why would a "hot" white man marry a black woman when he could have a hot white girl, or asian, or indian etc.?" Maybe because a black woman is exactly what he wants? Maybe because the beauty and grace of a black woman cannot be matched by any other type of woman? Maybe because he hasn't been brainwashed into believing that black women are at the bottom of the totem pole--the way you have? Isn't that outlandish?

My "hot" and rich and professional fiance had his pick of women of any race and indeed, he's dated them all. He chose me--a dark-skinned, nappy-haired African woman--over all of them and feels lucky for it because he knows he's fortunate to have a woman like me. What's more, his family members feel lucky to number me as one of them--and this is a genteel family or "old money" as some people like to put it. The exact type of family that discouragers like you would have black women believe don't want them.

It's funny how it's never a white man I hear saying he'll only use black women for sex. It's always black men like you who claim to speak for white men that utter the most demoralizing, discouraging, contemptuous "words of advice." What's funnier is that many black women believe men like you. Instead of finding out for themselves, they fall for your selfish agenda instead o questioning how it is that a black man could possibly know anything about what's going on in a white man's head. Fortunately, I've dated interracially extensively and I see through your BS because my experiences tell me differently.

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
Intent, a good black man has a flawless diamond male private part from Tiffany's or Harry Winston.

;D

I'm kidding. Boy I crack myself up.

SEriously I think the basics of a "Good Man" is someone who loves, respects, and supports me on a mental, intellectual, spiritual (believes in God), and umm physical level. He also communicates and isn't afraid to share his deepest hopes, dreams, and fears. Most importantly someone who is honest and isn't afraid to approach me if he has a problem with something. I also like someone who is calm and collected during stressful situations. He steps up to the plate and be a MAN when necessary.

Oh now the bonus is someone who is financially stable with good credit.  ;D

I like abs, nice teeth, a great smile, and a crazy sense of humor.

Oh a good ass to grab doesn't hurt either but that is all asthetics.  ;D

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2006, 01:38:09 PM »
When I was in high school, I seriously considered dating men of other minority groups (I went to an HBCU for undergrad, which basically eliminated my need to "explore other options"). However, I've never seriously considered dating white men because of my fear that one day I might hear him utter the fateful "N" word (or something equally derogatory).  I've not reached the level of understanding that would allow me to be comfortable with any white person expressing any negative feelings about my people. I'm really not even willing to risk hearing such utterances either, so I'll just stick with Black men and be happy.