• View Profile
Re: Something NEW! Hot White/Other? Men for the Sistas
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:13:59 AM »
Lol, you really posted a pic of Ben Stiller :D

petitschoque

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 06:10:51 AM »
I don't get it.

Is this supposed to be a spoof of the movie "Something New"? A celebration of the attractiveness of white men?

Also, who is exoticizing "us"? Is there a recent example that is riling you up?

(I'm not being cute--I seriously don't get it).

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:15:08 AM »
Check the main BLSD thread for the history leading up to this.

petitschoque

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 07:45:59 AM »
Okay, IMYV, I get your point :D

I'm a happy interracial dater (or at least I used to be before I got engaged to my wonderful fiance) and no one has to market the beauty of white men to me ;)

You might want to add pictures of Dolph Lundgren (the gorgeous soviet angel from Rocky IV), Eric Bana, and Brad Pitt to the mix...yummy... :-*

ETA: I did the work:

1. Eric Bana--he has this tender Richard Gere-ish look that I really dig...and the fact that he has the body of a God doesn't hurt either...

2. Dolph Lundgren--Love, love his bone structure and anyone who remembers any of his movies KNOWS his body is amazing...

3. Brad Pitt--probably the most beautiful man in the known universe...

I'm too lazy to find more pictures of them but whatever, I've had my fix for the morning and I have no business lusting after anyone not my fiance...

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:02:54 AM »
To take it to the legal realm, Professor Richard Banks of Stanford has some interesting views on this matter.  He says one could argue that Black women who insist on dating/marrying Black men may be doing themselves and the Black family a disservice.  Think about it: Instead of choosing a father figure of a different race, we choose no male parent at all.  (I don't know if I agree with this characterization but it's an interesting point all the same.)

Interesting perspective. If anyone cares, he put his money where his mouth is - his wife is Black and they have 3 really cute kids.

While I'm sort of side tracking the thread, why is it that there seem to be so many black men who preach on about Black this and Black that but marry/primarily date women of other races? My personal theory is that it has to do with Black patriarchy...they don't view women as partners or equals so not having a Black mate is not hypocrisy to their cause. I was watching African American Lives with my roommate and she IMed her friend who was Af-Am studies at Harvard, and he goes "I could really take that nicca (Skip Gates) more seriously if he didn't have a white wife."

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:08:59 AM »
you know what I just love seeing... I love seeing black guys with locs take their white girl friends to black performances or art exhibits featuring black artists... then I love the way that my crew walks in  with our locs..fros and other natural hair styles..

then I absolutely love the level of obvious embarassment or uncomfortability that comes over the guy when we all look at him... 8)

petitschoque

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 08:11:22 AM »
While I'm sort of side tracking the thread, why is it that there seem to be so many black men who preach on about Black this and Black that but marry women of other races?
I've noticed this too and that's why I don't take most militant, "conscious" types seriously. A lot of them rant and rave about blackness this and blackness that not because they really have that much love for black people but because they have an ax to grind with others (namely white men). I can't get caught up in someone's rhetoric when small-minded pettiness is what's motivating them. But anyway, I think their fixation with the object of their dislike (usually the white race) has a lot to do with why a lot of them marry those of other races...it's a thin line between love and hate...and hatred/dislike often masks jealousy. I suspect many of these types really just want what "The (White) Man" has so the closest thing to being The Man is having The Man's woman.

Then again, maybe a lot of these types have always preferred to date interracially and their obsession with blackness is their way of compensating for what they see as flaw (their dating preference). People need to just be honest about their feelings instead of talking nonsense and then slinking off to secretly do what they've always wanted.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »
[it's a thin line between love and hate

Mmmph mmmph mmmph. I know that's right! It certainly seems to have something to do with views on White and Black people/relations as meaning White and Black MEN, and women as a whole are deemed irrelevant. So it makes sense that all their "Black rage" is directed at White men and they view white women as being non-agents who don't have anything to do with racism. Furthermore, this patriarchal view keeps them from seeing their disconnect from Black women as disloyal to the  Black cause.

And just for the record, I clearly don't have any issue with interracial dating. It's 2006 and IMO it's high time that Black women got over Black men's willingness to date elsewhere. However, I just find it somewhat disingenuous when the very "militant" (as petit put it) types tend to have anything but a Black woman on their arm.

crazy8

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 08:26:04 AM »
Hi ladies, I'm here!  Got to work "hella" ;D late (should have gone to bed much earlier last night  :-\ )  I'm cracking up at this thread!!