Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for Economics Majors?  (Read 9782 times)

Hobbes

• View Profile
Re: Question for Economics Majors?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 10:59:27 AM »
I was econ.  Tax law/estate/trust/real estate... something along those lines.

Corporate is where the bucks are... but it does not interest me that much.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 11:53:03 AM »
Corporate is where the bucks are... but it does not interest me that much.

Nothing interesting pays well.  It's the basic law of supply and demand.  If it's easy and interesting, then everyone will do it.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 04:27:16 PM »
Probably either Tax or Real Estate.

swifty, graduate level Econ is a lot more Linear Algebra, DiffEq, and Calculus based Econometrics than your average calculus and stats classes. Just the basics in math won't cut it. That being said, a lot of Econ PhDs start their degree and pick the math up here and there as they go along. A PhD in Econ is crazy hard, the M.A. is plenty for me.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 07:09:20 PM »
Criminal law.  Go figure.  Econ was still supposed to be better than criminal justice majors. 

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

basho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 12:24:41 AM »
With all this talk on which is better, BA or BS, I would like to know what the difference is for those who attend schools that have degrees in both. I only ask, because I am currently working on my econ degree (double major with marketing) at a Big 12 school and there is very little difference between the two degrees in my school. We only graduate about 18 econ majors a year, and most of those are BA's, but only because it is considered an easier degree. The only difference in the two is that BS students have to take an additional stat class, while BA students can substitute that with just about any quantitative course, be it calculus, upper level finance etc. Most go the BA route to avoid the stat class. Other than that, there are only about 8 courses, other than intro to micro/macro and intermediate micro/macro, that are available in the econ major to anyone. Everyone I know has taken the exact same courses as I have, with the exception of the stat class, and a calculus class I added just to prepare myself for grad school. Would a graduate program really look down on a BS in econ with regards to a BA? I intend to earn my law degree and get a masters in international relations or an MBA (haven't decided yet) when I return from the peace corps after graduation.

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 01:26:50 AM »
There's a much bigger difference at my school it sounds like than at yours. At my school the B.A. requires intro macro&micro, inter macro&micro, stats, and 6 upper level electives you can choose.

The B.S. requires all that, plus mathematical economics and calc 1 and 2.

It may be snobby, but I know as a B.S. Econ, we all laugh at the B.A. Econs.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2004, 01:56:16 AM »
Yeah, no corp law here either.  If you guys want to do Tax Law, UF has the #2 Tax Law program in the country.
Harvard being number 1?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2004, 11:11:08 AM »
by the way, on the topic of econ... what kind of law are you econ lovers interested in? what is related to econ?!

I am open to almost every major field of law.  I am interested in corporate and tax law - both of which are [somewhat] related to Economics.  However, as I am also a Political Science major, I am interested in public policy, legislative affairs, and governmental relations.

since a lot of us are not particularly fond of business...

I am not against business or business degrees; I just believe that a liberal arts degree is generally better [than a business degree] for [pre-] law students.