Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for Economics Majors?  (Read 9428 times)

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question for Economics Majors?
« on: July 24, 2004, 04:09:19 PM »
Are you guys majors in the Liberal Arts College or your schools Business school?

Which route do you think is more beneficial and why?

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Economics Majors?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 04:32:35 PM »
My joint program could have been done through the Arts faculty yielding a B.A. or through the faculty of Management that results in a B.Comm.  After graduation, all the people with a B.Comm went into investment banking (including me) and all the people with B.A. went into grad school.  It's your choice. 

The B.A. route gives you more exposure to econ courses, while the B.Comm path allows you to take more business courses.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 04:42:06 PM »
Thanks Moogle.  Yeah, I am very interested in Economics, but I am not as interested in Business, if that makes any sense to you.  Through the business college, I would have to take about 6 courses that I have no interest in whatsoever.  I'm doing economics to have something to fall back on if I don't practice law but I am about 98% sure I am going to law school.  So I guess my undergrad major wouldn't matter too much, especially what college I attained it from right?

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 04:46:09 PM »
Yeah, I was forced to take 51 credits of business courses that I had no interest in; that's 17 courses!!  They were called the business core and included classes like accounting I, II, III, IV, to XX (just kidding), marketing, managing human resources, info systems, and blah blah blah.

If money and job security isn't an issue for you, then go with what you love. 

When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

lexie0502

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 04:49:07 PM »
At my school (GWU), the econ department is in the college of arts and sciences, not in teh business school.  I'm doing a BA b/c a BS wasnt available to me.  The reason is that I'm also double majoring in international relations and they dont allow you to have a BS since IR is a liberal arts major.  I'm in the International Affairs college so I have to do as they say.  My core classes had all to do with the IR school requirements.  The BS has a lot more math + stats requirements, while with the BA I can choose which econ classes I'd like to take. 

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 06:52:38 PM »
I was an econ major for a semester before finally settling on finance, and like moogle said, if you're going to go into the business world, a BS from the business school is probably better, but if you're going to go into academia, the liberal arts degree is probably better.  If you're looking towards law school and you want to get a good GPA, I'd suggest going the route that'll let you take classes you're more interested in, because you'll probably do better in those classes than in ones you hate.  At my university, all of the actual econ requirements are the same, its the other "core" requirements that vary between a b.a. and a b.s. in econ, so be sure to take that into consideration.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 07:16:16 PM »
Thanks guys for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

Yeah, the main difference between the B.S. Econ (Business) and B.A. Econ is the Bus core classes you are required to take, of which I have no interest.  Some of these courses include: accounting (financial and managerial), management, stats for bus decisions, marketing, etc.  As I alluded to earlier, I am just about positive that I will be going to law school, so I will take your advice and do what I enjoy.  Thanks again!

By the way, are your Econ classes concentrated on mostly theory, application, or a combo of both?

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 07:19:19 PM »
As a business major, I had to take three econs:  micro, macro, and international.  Micro and macro were all theory, and internationa was mostly application, like "look what happened when the US slapped on this tarriff." 
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

lexie0502

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 06:24:23 PM »
the basic core classes:
-principles of micro + macro and intermediate micro + macro = straight forward theory

the rest were application + theory combo
-international econ (finance; trade)
-money and banking
-law and econ
-econ development

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 07:49:27 PM »
I'm a B.S. Econ major at Tulane. All Econ degrees here are through LAS, B-school Econ degrees are no better than any other b-school degree (read: worthless). I'm starting my M.A. in Policy Economics in the fall, most of my undergrad courses were theory.  Intros and Intermeds are all theory, then your middle of the road courses will be probably about half theory half application. Then your last few very upper level courses will once again be hardcore theory based, stuff like Game Theory.

Lexie, you only had 8 classes for your major? Damn you, I had 13.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor