Law School Discussion

« on: February 05, 2006, 12:22:30 PM »

Pancho

• View Profile
Re: when can I start applying?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 01:56:15 PM »
Hey. If I am hoping to enter Law School in 2007 (i.e. not this cycle, but next cycle), when is the earliest I can apply to the law schools I am interested in, assuming my LSAC file is complete as of today? And when is the earliest I could expect to hear back from them? I will only be able to attend if I can get a full scholarship somewhere, so will it take longer to find out about scholarships, on top of acceptance /rejection? Thanks for your help.

You probably should not have letters of recommendation sent to LSAC already - they should reflect information about you when you apply.  Also, if you are still in school, it makes no sense to "complete" your LSAC file now, as you will need to send grades in at the end of this semester. 

Anyways, the earliest you can apply is early September.  I believe LSAC started accepting online apps on September 7th this year.  The earliest you will hear back is the beginning of November, but it will likely be much later.  Some schools send scholarships with acceptances, but others will wait until they have your FAFSA/Need Access materials (you can't finish those until January/February 2007).  So most of your financial aid packages will arrive in March and April. 

Short answer:  it'll be awhile.  The schools are still working on us '06 applicants.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:41:06 PM »
If your numbers aren't auto-admit and you apply to early, you may have to deal with a bunch of deferrals.  I was looking at a lot of the October applications on LSN and a ton of them were deferred.  I think if I had it to do over again I would apply the second or third week of November.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:00:36 PM »
I will only be able to attend if I can get a full scholarship somewhere

Even with a great LSAT score, that's going to limit your options.  Severely.

Slow Blues

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 01:26:38 PM »
After this cycle, I'm starting to think when you apply doesn't matter so much as not applying extremely late, like in February. I think applying super-early (that is, in September, like some people here did) will not help you one bit. i think Ocean Blue (no relation) is right; November would be fine.   

Second, Paddy, you can't just sit there and take whatever the school to doles out. You have to go hunting for money on your own from other sources. There are hundreds, really, hundreds of different scholarships out there that can help you pay for school. I know because I'm looking right now. If you just rely on whatever merit or need-based aid the school gives you, you'll be missing out on a TON of money. If you truly can only go on a full ride, (and I don't see how this can be, since even the most indigent applicant can generally get loans to cover whatever grants and scholarships don't), then you should probably be targeting your applications to schools where you're above their 75th percentile for both LSAT and GPA.