Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: On a more funny note...  (Read 725 times)

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
On a more funny note...
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:41:08 AM »
Something just came to mind that I forgot about in my depression yesterday, that I thought was quite funny.  When we had to write the certifying statement, someone actually asked if it had to be in cursive.  When the proctor said yes, he said that he didn't know cursive anymore because he hadn't used it in years.  The proctor was like, "Well fake it or something, just find a way to connect your letters together and they might not care.  Come on guys, you're supposed to be lawyers, or going to be lawyers."  I guess I probably shouldn't have thought it was so funny, but I couldn't help it.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

pistolpete23

Re: On a more funny note...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 09:46:21 AM »

is cursive a prerequisite for gaining entry into law school?

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 09:47:59 AM »
Not as far as I know, but LSAC in their infinite wisdom requires everything to be done in a very specific manner.  Remember, departing form the norm is evil and is a path that leads to the devil.  If we don't all do everything in exactly the same way, there will be utter chaos, and the world will end.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »
That's funny. It actually did take me a long time to write that damn thing. Other than my signature, I haven't used cursive since elementary school. I've typed everything for school and work, and when I write on paper, I use print. A bunch of people in my test center seemed to have that problem.
Georgetown

chastenedaspirations

• Sr. Citizen
  • JD applicant and street performer extraordinaire!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cthenantucketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
I swear they only do that to undermine our confidence before the test. I mean cursive? Really? Who knows how to write in cursive? I guess it just goes along with their whole philosophy of testing us on things we'll never need to know....
GPA: 3.8+
LSAT: 170+

d_y_ze

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 10:10:21 AM »
Someone at my facility asked a similar question about the cursive, he said he doesn't normally write in cursive and the proctor said he needs to write in cursive or else he can call and take it up with the LSAT people.

Something just came to mind that I forgot about in my depression yesterday, that I thought was quite funny.  When we had to write the certifying statement, someone actually asked if it had to be in cursive.  When the proctor said yes, he said that he didn't know cursive anymore because he hadn't used it in years.  The proctor was like, "Well fake it or something, just find a way to connect your letters together and they might not care.  Come on guys, you're supposed to be lawyers, or going to be lawyers."  I guess I probably shouldn't have thought it was so funny, but I couldn't help it.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »
Hey at least of all the horrible things that could have gone wrong, and that did go wrong for me (misbubbling, etc.) as an elementary school principal, I had an advantage...the cursive writing was NO PROBLEM for me and I actually finished that part before everybody else in the room.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 10:38:50 AM »
Umm yea I kind of screwed up and didn't write in cursive. Then at the end I asked the proctor if i could change it and he said it probably wouldn't matter. guess I should call LSAC and confirm. I'd hate for my test not to be scored because I failed to write that statement in cursive.

WannabeLAW

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 11:12:46 AM »
Umm yea I kind of screwed up and didn't write in cursive. Then at the end I asked the proctor if i could change it and he said it probably wouldn't matter. guess I should call LSAC and confirm. I'd hate for my test not to be scored because I failed to write that statement in cursive.

Really, it doesn't matter. I took the test in December and didn't write in cursive. I don't even know how to do it. I got my score back just like everyone else.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 11:08:59 AM »
Thought I'd gravedig this one up.

Do we think there's a legitimate reason for the cursive? Handwriting analysis to prevent cheating or something?

I admit when they told us to use cursive I almost started laughing. Took me so damn long to fake it out my hand started cramping up! I remember the same damn thing on the SAT... haven't used cursive since that day!

In terms of comparing handwriting, cursive is more distinctive than printing.  It's almost impossible to hide your handwriting when writing in cursive, which is why they use it for comparison purposes, if necessary.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn