Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 170+ scorers: Do you order your logic games?  (Read 2302 times)

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 170+ scorers: Do you order your logic games?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2004, 01:15:26 PM »
Yeah.. thats pretty stupid.  Unless you are a rocket scientist, I am relatively confident most of the women in my graduate lab (or my wife for that matter) could blow you or me out of the water.
3.8/155

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004, 01:24:20 PM »
Heh, I can't help it. And I can't stop thinking I'm going to get 170+ on my LSAT now because of my newfound insight. Lol.

Matt

nlyang

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • my lsn data
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2004, 01:42:07 PM »
Depending on how you're currently doing you may want to try Kaplan's LSAT 180 book.  It's supposed to contain some of the toughest questions from actual tests.

If you're already familiar with general techniques, you might want to try doing 4 of these games in 35 minutes.  You'll essentially be doing a games section with 4 hard questions instead of just one.  Really digging into these questions under timed conditions is painful at first, but makes the actual test seem like cake.  

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2004, 05:34:32 PM »

After reading this thread (let us be good humoured about this), how many guys feel they should now be able to ace the Game section because a few of the girls here were able to?

Honestly, I'm thrilled with my games score (I missed 3).  It was as good or better than any of my practice tests, and I don't think I could do better with any amount of practice.  What blows me away is that people aced the games and didn't score like a 178 or better overall.  I found reading comprehension to be a joke and logic reasoning to be quite easy as well. 

I just assumed that the people who scored really well overall were those who aced the games and one or two of the other sections.  I guess that different minds really do work differently.  For those people that aced the games but not the test overall, which sections did you find difficult, and why? 

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 05:59:11 PM »
I didn't think the June Reading Comp was a "joke."  It was definately the hardest RC I had taken and I was rushing like crazy to finish up my last passage.

Different people just think differently.  While logic games can be the hardest, it is also the most "learnable" section on the test.  Learning to read and comprehendq quickly in 6 weeks of studying or learning reasoning can be harder than studying the Logic Games Bible everyone talks about and recycling strategies.
3.8/155

RamonaQuimby

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 08:30:38 PM »
i didn't rank mine, i did them in order.  i was often down to the wire in logic games timing on practice tests, so i didn't feel i had even thirty seconds to spare in glancing at the four games first.  if you can do them faster and usually finish with time to spare, you could try doing them out of order and see how that works.  just my two cents.

RaiderHeisman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 02:59:07 AM »
I just assumed that the people who scored really well overall were those who aced the games and one or two of the other sections.  I guess that different minds really do work differently.  For those people that aced the games but not the test overall, which sections did you find difficult, and why? 

I won't sit for the actual test until the fall, but I have aced the games section on a regular basis on the practice tests. I've aced the RC section once, but I have yet to ace any of the LR sections.

My guess is that coming from a science and engineering background, the games section is actually comparable to the concepts and problems that I've been frequently exposed to. The difficulty I've had with the LR section seems to stem from not having a well - conceived method of attacking certain question types. Though their does appear to be a bit of a learning curve with this particular section as my scores have increased noticeably now that I've become a little more familiar with the format...

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2004, 04:44:56 AM »
Quote from: RaiderHeisman link=topic=5349.msg68655#msg68655

My guess is that coming from a science and engineering background, the games section is actually comparable to the concepts and problems that I've been frequently exposed to.

That's funny.  I majored in math and found that I spent way too much time meditating on all the possible permutations for a given game.  Maybe just an obsession with completeness.

Anyway, it sounds as if you're in good shape for the test.  Good luck!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »
Bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone ran into this problem.

I practiced for a long time before I took an LSAT - first test 166, then a 171, a 173 and then BAM last night down to a 164

This really concerns me.  I could tell at the beginning of the test that I just did not have it, but was wondering if this had happened to anyone else.

It really freaks me out, depending on how I am feeling could swing the score bigtime.

When you take the real test did you find yourself more in tune than ever before? 

arc-

I wouldn't worry.  I practiced tested around 165-170, choked on one test - something like 159 / 160 if I remember.  Put everything away for two weeks and then came back to it three weeks before the test and hit it again.  I ended up with a 172 and thought I was much more focused during the real thing than I ever came close to during practice.

-Desmo

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »
I agree that it's different for each person.  For those who consistently finish the games section with a couple minutes to spare, ranking just gets in the way.  For those who need the time management, ranking by number of points is probably a better idea.

As for the June RC section, that was the hardest section I had ever taken and where I missed 2/3 of my questions.  You never know what section is going to be an outlier.