Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 170+ scorers: Do you order your logic games?  (Read 2269 times)

lambert

• View Profile
170+ scorers: Do you order your logic games?
« on: July 24, 2004, 09:41:26 AM »
Several guides recommend that you rank the LG's by difficulty before you begin them. However, it seems to waste too much time to me (especially if you plan on finishing all four anyway), so I simply make a mark by what seems to be the hardest game, and then I do the others chronologically. What's your strategy? Thanks.

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
Re: 170+ scorers: Do you order your logic games?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 09:46:06 AM »
do them in order - there isn't a game that can't be solved.

ideally the first game goes down in 5 minutes, then there is all sorts of time to finish
LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com

buster

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 10:30:20 AM »
I think your first goal (when you start doing practice tests) should be to try to get to the point where you can finish all of the games. If it seems like that's out of reach you might consider ranking them, but I still would not spend more than a minute (if that) ranking them. After my first few tests and a bit of studying I was finishing all of them reliably, but even then the section went down to the wire fairly often.

Several guides recommend that you rank the LG's by difficulty before you begin them. However, it seems to waste too much time to me (especially if you plan on finishing all four anyway), so I simply make a mark by what seems to be the hardest game, and then I do the others chronologically. What's your strategy? Thanks.

lambert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 10:45:13 AM »
Oh yeah, one more question. Is it true that the first game is never the hardest? I read that in some guide, and, from my experience, its true.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 10:48:49 AM »
I'd just keep taking practice tests and trying to keep in the back of your mind how you are doing.  If a particular type or particular number (1,2,3,4) is throwing you off, consider just skipping that when you come to it then going back.  For some strange reason, I went through a 2-3 week stretch where the 2nd logic game, regardless of type, was giving me headaches.  I started skipping it and got out of the rut and was able to go back to doing them in order.  I'm guessing I just had a couple bad 2nd games in a row by chance and had a mental block.  I agree that taking the time to determine type on all of them seems like a bit of a time waste.
3.8/155

JiggityJig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 10:50:07 AM »
My experience was that ranking just distracted and took up time -- if I hit a particularly hard or hard-for-me game or question while going in order, then I circled it, moved on, and came back at the end.  But I didn't spend any time ranking beforehand.  YMMV.

And I'm not sure that I'd want to say that first games are never hardest as a firm rule, but, yeah, in general the first never seems to be the stumper.

inthesun

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 12:37:56 PM »
I didn't get a 170+ but I was scored perfectly on my LG section.  I did them out of order.  I agree that they can all be solved, but I like warming up to the easy ones.  Then, if the harder ones were to take extra time, I would feel confident taking my time on the them, because I would be finished with the others. 

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 01:20:01 PM »
Bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone ran into this problem.

I practiced for a long time before I took an LSAT - first test 166, then a 171, a 173 and then BAM last night down to a 164

This really concerns me.  I could tell at the beginning of the test that I just did not have it, but was wondering if this had happened to anyone else.

It really freaks me out, depending on how I am feeling could swing the score bigtime.

When you take the real test did you find yourself more in tune than ever before? 
LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 01:46:24 PM »

If you are going for a 170+ I think you should do them in order as fast as possible.  There really is no time to read the setup for each problem then rank them in your mind.  Some problems seem really hard from the setup but once you get to them they are easy.  It is tough to tell and definitely takes up your most precious asset on the test--time.  Just plow through them and make sure you don't misinterpret a rule/inference. 

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 02:22:02 PM »
I agree with NYMETS, and b/c of the time constraint it doesn't help to skip around in the questions due to the bubbling issue; it is much too easy to bubble in the wrong place.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.