Author Topic: .  (Read 20749 times)

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
Re: Post Mortem Args Master List (9 MORE TO GO!!)
« Reply #360 on: February 06, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »
Also, the one with milk production. I have a slight issue with this one as well.

The reasoning seemed to be something along the lines of:  Farmers who want to increase production in their most productive cows should increase their feed intake.  This serves to decrease the percentage of energy used for maintenance of bodily functions (whatever the hell that means) and increase the amount of total energy available for milk production.

The main point is that farmers will produce more milk if they up their most productive cows' feed intake.  Why?  Because there will be more energy available for milk production.

The answer I chose identified the logical gap:  Even if there is more energy available, who's to say that the additional increase in energy will go toward milk production?  The answer said this more or less: "The same percentage of energy available will be used for milk production"

Am I way off?  Please let me know! 
I agree with your answer here.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

aliciachen23

• My wife and baby boy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 06, 2006, 12:16:12 AM »
LOL.  That is the question isn't it?  Is it: "If the SSMC is open year-round, then they are most likely in the mall."

Or is it: "If the SSMC is located in the mall, then it is most likely open year-round."

Or (this is like the first conditional:  Most SSMC that are open year round are located in a mall.")

In:  Wake Forest, George Mason, Tennessee, Alabama, Will & Mary, Emory

Waitlist:  Illinois, Wash U, Maryland

Out:  GWU, Boston College, Vandy

EMORY Here I come!

aliciachen23

• My wife and baby boy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 06, 2006, 12:22:36 AM »
Nine48:   I don't remember it specifically saying that the proportion (%) used for maintence functions going down, but I know that it said that "if you increase feed intake the amount of TOTAL energy left available for milk production goes up. 

There are several assumptions in this argument: (this is not an exhaustive list by any means)

1.)  Most productive cows can actually produce more milk (This was not an answer choice, though, but if it were there it would have definitely been the best)

2.)  The increased amount of TOTAL energy left available after maintenance functions will be used to increase milk production.  (The answer I gave touched on this slightly)

In:  Wake Forest, George Mason, Tennessee, Alabama, Will & Mary, Emory

Waitlist:  Illinois, Wash U, Maryland

Out:  GWU, Boston College, Vandy

EMORY Here I come!

Finch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: February 06, 2006, 12:32:58 AM »
Nine48:   I don't remember it specifically saying that the proportion (%) used for maintence functions going down, but I know that it said that "if you increase feed intake the amount of TOTAL energy left available for milk production goes up. 

There are several assumptions in this argument: (this is not an exhaustive list by any means)

1.)  Most productive cows can actually produce more milk (This was not an answer choice, though, but if it were there it would have definitely been the best)

2.)  The increased amount of TOTAL energy left available after maintenance functions will be used to increase milk production.  (The answer I gave touched on this slightly)

That's what I picked, it seemed to me that the argument was centering around more energy being available for milk production and that this should be pursued by the farmers.  That means that they should be trying to increase milk production, which was not stated in the passage...and one of the answers touched on this I believe?

drack26

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 06, 2006, 12:54:20 AM »
I agree, I think at this point most of us agree that the answer on the Master List is not entirely true, and most likely inaccurate.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, in my infinite wisdom, I have just thought of another question that I am 100% positive was on the LR section. Let me reiterate - I did NOT have an experimental LR, so this is a fact:

The question had something to do with a magazine survey, and people responding to the survey via email or postcard or something, and the question had something to do with an inference from that data or something. I can never remember answers until people start spitting them out, so let's get cracking on this.  I'm really impressed with myself here for remembering these.

Nine48

« Reply #365 on: February 06, 2006, 01:00:13 AM »
First, I agree with the new consensus that the answer for the milk production question is wrong.  Thanks to aliciachen for pointing out our error.  I think I was the one that originally threw that answer out, so sorry to everybody for that.

Second, I do not think #10 on the master list was on the real test.  It must be experimental.

Third, we can definitely add the new question concerning email and mail.  I think it went something like this:

Q:  A survey asked people whether they found email to be useful.  The majority of those who responded by snail mail said no.  The majority that responded by email said yes. This situation conforms to what principle?

A:  People are more likely to find something useful if they use it regularly.

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2006, 01:07:36 AM »
I agree, I think at this point most of us agree that the answer on the Master List is not entirely true, and most likely inaccurate.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, in my infinite wisdom, I have just thought of another question that I am 100% positive was on the LR section. Let me reiterate - I did NOT have an experimental LR, so this is a fact:

The question had something to do with a magazine survey, and people responding to the survey via email or postcard or something, and the question had something to do with an inference from that data or something. I can never remember answers until people start spitting them out, so let's get cracking on this.  I'm really impressed with myself here for remembering these.
If you mean the survey on technology where some people were asked if they thought email was useful and the ones who wrote in via postal mail said no, while the ones who wrote in through email said yes.  It was a principle question I believe and the answer was, "People find value in technology they use" or something like that.

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2006, 01:08:21 AM »
First, I agree with the new consensus that the answer for the milk production question is wrong.  Thanks to aliciachen for pointing out our error.  I think I was the one that originally threw that answer out, so sorry to everybody for that.

Second, I do not think #10 on the master list was on the real test.  It must be experimental.

Third, we can definitely add the new question concerning email and mail.  I think it went something like this:

Q:  A survey asked people whether they found email to be useful.  The majority of those who responded by snail mail said no.  The majority that responded by email said yes. This situation conforms to what principle?

A:  People are more likely to find something useful if they use it regularly.

That's it!

drack26

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 06, 2006, 01:13:55 AM »
yup, you got it, that was definitely the answer I put as well. I'm glad that after I come up with the questions the answers are quickly remembered. Let's try to think of more here. I'm pumping them out at about a 3 every 5 hours rate here, but I think if we all think hard we can get a few more before bed time. Also, sister act is on tv right now so there's no chance i'm falling asleep in the next hour or so. Yes I am a guy and yes I am straight and yes I love this movie.

Nine48

« Reply #369 on: February 06, 2006, 01:15:41 AM »
I hope Whoopi will be able to jog your memory.