Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 20525 times)

dmo630

• View Profile
Dammit Dr. Tyler!
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2006, 09:47:49 PM »
My 2 cents :)

1) Doctor Tylerís patient is mayor, confidential information about mayor revealed in newspaper; Tyler should be punished 
ANS: I feel strongly that it was the "confidential info must be medical" answer.  I think "Dr. Tyler leaked" was a red herring.  As another board member wisely pointed out: the article could have cited financial info leaked by his accountant.

4) Satellites in higher orbit are exposed to more, larger debris than satellites in lower orbit; however, satellites closer to earth are more frequently destroyed by debris
ANS: Am I nuts or was the stem the other way around?  I thought it said that the debris closer to earth was larger, denser, but the satellites were more frequently destroyed further from earth.  And I put an answer like "satellites' navigational systems work better closer to earth."  But it's been a looong weekend and I could be wrong.

5) Mangersí responsibility to stock holder or society and stock holders
ANS: I was tempted by the pollution one, but ended up going with "the company should always do what the stockholders want."  The pollution one seemed... too specific.  I felt like it could have worked if it were a parallel question, but I don't recall this one being parallel.

17) Mahogany seeds
ANS: I had something along the lines of - a natural disaster is not enough to clear out grown trees

34) The economy transitions from state-controlled to free economy.  Old state owned businesses are better at producing goods that people are familiar with.  New businesses are generally better at producing everything else.  New businesses should be encouraged.
ANS: I put this one:a country would demand goods that were not previously produced

aliciachen23

• My wife and baby boy!
    • View Profile
Re: Post Mortem Args Master List (9 MORE TO GO!!)
« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2006, 11:23:23 PM »
I posted this earlier.  Anybody want to reply?  It's a different take on the consensus answer that is posted on the master list.

For number 3 on the list, I distinctly remember two answer choices that caught my eye.

The first I DIDN"T pick:
"If the store sold mostly calendars and is not in the mall, then it is probably not open year round." 

Didn't choose this one b/c the argument doesn't tell you about what the characteristics of Stores Selling Mostly Calendars (SSMC) who aren't open year-round are.  The args tell you about the characteristics of SSMC that ARE open year-round.

I went with the one that addressed what you knew:
"If SSMC and is open year round, it is probably in a mall."  This is something that we know for sure.

What do you think?
In:  Wake Forest, George Mason, Tennessee, Alabama, Will & Mary, Emory

Waitlist:  Illinois, Wash U, Maryland

Out:  GWU, Boston College, Vandy

EMORY Here I come!

drack26

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »
im not too sure, but I think i also put that answer alicia.  that sounded the most logical to me, but that was a question that i was unsure of.  it was definitely less straight forward than everyone is making it out to be.

aliciachen23

• My wife and baby boy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2006, 11:35:39 PM »
Also, the one with milk production. I have a slight issue with this one as well.

The reasoning seemed to be something along the lines of:  Farmers who want to increase production in their most productive cows should increase their feed intake.  This serves to decrease the percentage of energy used for maintenance of bodily functions (whatever the hell that means) and increase the amount of total energy available for milk production.

The main point is that farmers will produce more milk if they up their most productive cows' feed intake.  Why?  Because there will be more energy available for milk production.

The answer I chose identified the logical gap:  Even if there is more energy available, who's to say that the additional increase in energy will go toward milk production?  The answer said this more or less: "The same percentage of energy available will be used for milk production"

Am I way off?  Please let me know!  

EMORY Here I come!

drack26

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 05, 2006, 11:40:47 PM »
wow, im hoping that you are really smart and perform well on LSATs, because I also had a HUGE problem with the consensus answer for this question.  The only reason I never said anything is because I didn't want to sound too pretentious or too dumb, but I agree 100% about the milk question as well.  the concnesus answer said something about farmers should always want to increase milk production, or something to that affect, but i specifically remember the first line of the passage indicating that the conclusion was something completely unrealted to that.  I also put "increased intake will lead to a consistant percentage of total percentage" or something like that due to the reasoning you indicated. lets hope we're right on this one and the one above.

aliciachen23

• My wife and baby boy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 05, 2006, 11:51:49 PM »
Thanks.  I don't think I am a guru on the logical reasoning, but I did take a Princeton Review course and it helped me tremendously in attacking these problems.  If the milk production assumption question had had an answer to the effect of "The most productive cows CAN (emph added) actually produce more milk".  That would have been a good answer, b/c that is also another assumption that the argument depends on.  If you negated the assumption, it would be, "The most productive cows CANNOT actually produce more milk", which would destroy the argument. 

However, this hypothetical answer was not among the answer choices.

EMORY Here I come!

drack26

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2006, 11:55:48 PM »
im not a guru either, and never took a class, but i did read the Logical Reasoning Bible, and they also gave a systematic approach of attacking these types of questions. I agree that the concensus answer is a little too strong to be the correct one. The one about the percentage clearly indicates that if intake were to go up, then production would also go up.  At least that's my opinion, and yours it seems. While we're at it, can you remember any more questions from the LR sections? I feel like we should be able to get at least 47-48.  I mean, it was only 2 days ago, and it was a pretty important test, you would think that we would have the questions fresh in our minds. Also, can anyone tell me what the deal with question 10 on the master list is? Is that an experimental question or did I just black out when i answered that? I have no recollection of that question, and i'm hoping that I didnt misbubble and just skip this or something.

aliciachen23

• My wife and baby boy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 06, 2006, 12:01:47 AM »
Well, I don't remember number #10.  I gave two suggestions earlier, but they must have been on the experimental, becaue nobody else remembered.

EMORY Here I come!

Nine48

« Reply #358 on: February 06, 2006, 12:04:56 AM »
I posted this earlier.  Anybody want to reply?  It's a different take on the consensus answer that is posted on the master list.

For number 3 on the list, I distinctly remember two answer choices that caught my eye.

The first I DIDN"T pick:
"If the store sold mostly calendars and is not in the mall, then it is probably not open year round." 

Didn't choose this one b/c the argument doesn't tell you about what the characteristics of Stores Selling Mostly Calendars (SSMC) who aren't open year-round are.  The args tell you about the characteristics of SSMC that ARE open year-round.

I went with the one that addressed what you knew:
"If SSMC and is open year round, it is probably in a mall."  This is something that we know for sure.

What do you think?

The stimulus said that most SSMC are NOT open year round.  These SSMCs will also be MORE likely to be open year round if they are in the mall.  The second part is diagrammed like:

in the mall ---MOST---> open year round

The answer choice that you selected would be diagrammed like (just the relevant parts):

open year round ---MOST---> in the mall

This is not the same thing.  I am pretty confident that the answer on the master list is correct.  But now you've got me thinking...Is my diagram way off?

Nine48

« Reply #359 on: February 06, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »
Also, the one with milk production. I have a slight issue with this one as well.

The reasoning seemed to be something along the lines of:  Farmers who want to increase production in their most productive cows should increase their feed intake.  This serves to decrease the percentage of energy used for maintenance of bodily functions (whatever the hell that means) and increase the amount of total energy available for milk production.

The main point is that farmers will produce more milk if they up their most productive cows' feed intake.  Why?  Because there will be more energy available for milk production.

The answer I chose identified the logical gap:  Even if there is more energy available, who's to say that the additional increase in energy will go toward milk production?  The answer said this more or less: "The same percentage of energy available will be used for milk production"

Am I way off?  Please let me know!  

Damn.  I think you may be right.  Do you happen to remember what the stimulus said exactly?  Like what increasing feed intake does specifically.