Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions please...  (Read 774 times)

theresa11

• View Profile
Opinions please...
« on: July 24, 2004, 03:21:47 AM »
I have mixed feelings on this.  Any opinions/comments greatly appreciated.

I'm applying to law school fall '05.  In 2002, I was accepted into Univ. Of Michigan's doctoral program in psychology and attended the program for about a year.  I withdrew/walked off middle of second semester. I do have to mention this in my personal statement since the adcomm will wonder, right? They'll see this in my transcripts and resume, so I might as well mention it briefly in my PS? I did also get a full scholarship with monthly stipend, so that's a plus.  But the negative to this is that should I have to explain why I withdrew? The reason was basically that I wasn't happy and realized it wasn't what I wanted to do.  Is that stupid?

The ugly thing is that this is making it challenging to transition into what I really want to talk about....which is why I want to attend law school...blablabla....

Help!

waiting for Michigan

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions please...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 10:53:10 AM »
You don't necessarily have to discuss it in your PS.  There's always the possibility of adding an addendum.  But if you weren't failing out of the program, I really don't think it's a huge deal.  If you do want to throw it in your PS though, it may not be that hard to incorporate it.  You can perhaps outline the reasons the phd program made you unhappy, and why that path wasn't what you wanted in life, and contrast that with studying the law and explaining why law school is for you, etc.  If you write it well, it could be a decent PS.