Law School Discussion

Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp

bimmer sooner

Re: Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2006, 01:47:56 PM »
i am at the moment...with no avail brainstorming about the cakewalk passage....

I recall one of the answers to a question there being "it was one of the first artforms that transcended racial or cultural barriers" or something like that?  What did the passage explicitly state about the cakewalk or something?

The question was the passage specifically stated which of the following

It was one of the first art forms that transcended racial or cultural barriers in the U.S. Pretty confident about that one.

Another one was how that lady influenced the cakewalk.

Was down to two:
1) She modified it to suit her audiences.
2) She emphasized different parts of the cakewalk for different audiences.

I remember part of the passage said she highlighted and emphasized certain parts for middle class african americans. Next, it said that middle and upper Euros liked her because her version was thought to be the most authentic. Next said the newly rich liked it bc it solidified their newfound social status.

I put 2.

I put 1.  She modified it because the middle class was bickering about something.. I don't remember what, but she modified it.

She emphasized different parts of it. Its grace and elegance and such for the middle class. I believe that makes 2 correct, but I want all my answers to be correct, so I'm not the best person to ask.

I don't know about this one, granted I have a stake in the more unpopular answer, but here goes.
The difference I think is that the other answer definitely was not to modify the dance, but rather her interpretation (i distinctly remember this word) of the dance for different audiences.  So the choices are she emphasizes existing elements for different audiences or interprets the dance differently for different audiences.  I think I saw something in the middle class or the new rich that made me think she did more than just chop up the dance and put out what audiences wanted. Rather, in her role as a choreographer (stated), interpreted the dances differently for each audience.

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »
Number 3 on master list should be something about giving an example of how internet communication may cross through different mediums or boundaries?  Such as from japan to canada through france...and what sort of rights france has to look at that info?

i'm going to wait to see how many we get before i mess around with the order... too much work  :D

haha i hear ya, but I meant I think that's the answer to number 3.  :)

vsavatar

• None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »
Number 3 on master list should be something about giving an example of how internet communication may cross through different mediums or boundaries?  Such as from japan to canada through france...and what sort of rights france has to look at that info?

i'm going to wait to see how many we get before i mess around with the order... too much work  :D

I'm pretty sure the answer to that had something to do with traffic going through intermediate countries or something to that effect.

magnumalv

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »

oh, ok, sorry about that. i'll put in brackets.

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2006, 01:51:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure the answer to that had something to do with traffic going through intermediate countries or something to that effect.

Correct.

vsavatar

• None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »
I would like to respectfully disagree on the part that was stated in the cakewalk passage.  It was not the elements of African dance that stayed in.  I almost answered that one till I read it more carefully.  It was actually talking about African elements that WEREN'T in the dance.  It was a different answer, I'm just having a hard time remembering which.

Queen of Miami

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2006, 01:57:22 PM »
Does anyone remember bubling in a lot of "D's" for the "Cake Walk" passage? I'm trying get a feel for how many of the guesses I had to make were right.

Fidelio

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2006, 02:02:08 PM »

Correct.

Yep, I guess we have a consensus on this one...

Corgi

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2006, 02:06:41 PM »
Does anyone remember the last question of the last passage (the one about groupthink) of the RC?

Nine48

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2006, 02:10:48 PM »
Cakewalk:

Q:  The passage provides information to answer which one of the following questions.

A:  What aspects of African tribal dance or (or something like that) were preserved in the Cakewalk.

In the intro it specifically names two aspects--shuffle step or gliding...