Law School Discussion

Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp

Fidelio

Re: Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 01:06:27 PM »
Did anyone else think that the cohesiveness passage was difficult?  Was one of the answers about groupthink that military groups were more likely to have it or were more high pressure and intense or something? 

Yah that was the last passage in RC, I was also pressed with time.  It was very difficult as well.

I thought the 1st 3 passages were easy.  Especially the internet one.

Fidelio

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 01:08:21 PM »
i am at the moment...with no avail brainstorming about the cakewalk passage....

I recall one of the answers to a question there being "it was one of the first artforms that transcended racial or cultural barriers" or something like that?  What did the passage explicitly state about the cakewalk or something?

The question was the passage specifically stated which of the following

It was one of the first art forms that transcended racial or cultural barriers in the U.S. Pretty confident about that one.

Another one was how that lady influenced the cakewalk.

Was down to two:
1) She modified it to suit her audiences.
2) She emphasized different parts of the cakewalk for different audiences.

I remember part of the passage said she highlighted and emphasized certain parts for middle class african americans. Next, it said that middle and upper Euros liked her because her version was thought to be the most authentic. Next said the newly rich liked it bc it solidified their newfound social status.

I put 2.

I put 1.  She modified it because the middle class was bickering about something.. I don't remember what, but she modified it.

magnumalv

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 01:10:46 PM »

Was down to two:

I put 2.

I put 1.  She modified it because the middle class was bickering about something.. I don't remember what, but she modified it.
[/quote]

I put 2 as well: she didn't modify it--the original parody was the modification. She just emphasized the new elements.

chastenedaspirations

• JD applicant and street performer extraordinaire!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cthenantucketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 01:11:34 PM »
i am at the moment...with no avail brainstorming about the cakewalk passage....

I recall one of the answers to a question there being "it was one of the first artforms that transcended racial or cultural barriers" or something like that?  What did the passage explicitly state about the cakewalk or something?

The question was the passage specifically stated which of the following

It was one of the first art forms that transcended racial or cultural barriers in the U.S. Pretty confident about that one.

Was down to two:

I remember part of the passage said she highlighted and emphasized certain parts for middle class african americans. Next, it said that middle and upper Euros liked her because her version was thought to be the most authentic. Next said the newly rich liked it bc it solidified their newfound social status.

I put 2.

She emphasized different parts of it. Its grace and elegance and such for the middle class. I believe that makes 2 correct, but I want all my answers to be correct, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2006, 01:13:12 PM »

Was down to two:

I put 2.

I put 2 as well: she didn't modify it--the original parody was the modification. She just emphasized the new elements.
[/quote]

I agree.  The passage said she catered her cakewalk to different audiences, such as middle class african americans who did not initially accept it.

chastenedaspirations

• JD applicant and street performer extraordinaire!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cthenantucketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2006, 01:15:52 PM »

Was down to two:

I put 2.

Hot. I love you guys.

I agree.  The passage said she catered her cakewalk to different audiences, such as middle class african americans who did not initially accept it.
[/quote]

magnumalv

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2006, 01:20:12 PM »
cake walk passage

answer to one was that it retained some elements of african dance

2) which of the following is supported in the passage:  that some people used cake walk to express social status

agreed

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2006, 01:21:29 PM »
cake walk passage

answer to one was that it retained some elements of african dance

2) which of the following is supported in the passage:  that some people used cake walk to express social status

Yes, I think one question (perhaps the last) asked which was supported, and the end of the passage stated a relation between the cakewalk and a group with "their newly acquired social status."

Queen of Miami

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2006, 01:24:25 PM »
28 questions ARRG!!! I worked the third section, about the cakewalk, last, but only had time to read the passage -- I guessed 'D' for every question. Anyone get many D answers on that passage???????

I confidently answered the other questions though.

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2006, 01:25:53 PM »
cohesiveness passage:

1)which of the following would the author agree:  some people in noncohesive groups are subject to pressure

2) which would the following would the author and (some author) agree about groupthink:  I think I put E.  Something about how it can happen in noncohesive groups

internet passage:

1)  what did the author mean by "risk": something about someone doing some wrong to your business???

2)  which of the following would the author say is included in sovereignty?  directing entities in a set area

With risk it was either that one or the privacy one.  I went with privacy though, I couldn't find any explicit statement about "devisive business practices" in the second paragraph near "risk."